Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poop ???

Default poop ???

For the past few days my lo's poop has been smelling much worse than usual. It has almost an acidic smell to it. She pooped before dinner last night, and then today she didn't go at all. But then between 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM she filled 4 diapers. And not like wet toots, real poops. Still the awful smelling stuff. It is the normal yellow color. And I haven't had any dairy today. Any ideas? Her dad had intestinal issues when he was born, so we are hoping this doesn't happen...

Loving being a first time mom to Mia Lynn! Born 2/26/08!!

At birth:8 lbs
    Coming home: 7 lbs 6 oz
    1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Default Re: poop ???

as of this morning, no poops since 5 PM

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

My dd went through that a couple of times. She would go a day or two w/out going and then when she would go & it would really stink and be alot. It seemed like a couple of times we would just get the new diaper on and get her dressed and she would go and fill up her diaper! She of course would just smile at us - like ha ha! I can't tell you if this is normal or not, but I know I was worried as well, cause my husband also had problems when he was a baby. Lilly's cleared up and doesn't happen very much now so I don't get to worried any more.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

That's good that the color is yellow. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be that stinky. My LO only is stinky when I've had caffeine! It also gets sticky and more green though. Maybe she has a little diarrhea? I know that's rare in BF babies, but I know we've had the runnier days IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much on these rare days, but if it continued for awhile I'd check with the pedi....

She didn't poop at all yet today.... hmmm

1 month- 9 lbs 12 oz
    8 wks- 11 lbs 6 oz
    3.5 mos- 13 lbs 4 oz
    5.5 mos- 17 lbs 2 oz
    10 mos- ~20 lbs

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by oklamom View Post
    That's good that the color is yellow. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be that stinky. My LO only is stinky when I've had caffeine! It also gets sticky and more green though. Maybe she has a little diarrhea? I know that's rare in BF babies, but I know we've had the runnier days IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much on these rare days, but if it continued for awhile I'd check with the pedi....
    In infants, diarrhea is the frequency, not consistency (runniness/thickness) of the poop. Maybe her system is just catching up from all the non-stop nursing you all have been doing, kwim? I always say when you think it's time to call lo's nurse just for a little piece of mind, that there's no harm in that.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Starting at about 8 weeks my son stopped having daily bowel movements. Sometimes he would go three or four days between poops, but on the days that he did go, he would fill up a couple diapers. I think this is normal in ebf infants. The important thing is that the stools are yellow and mustardy, and the baby doesn't have to strain to pass them. I don't have any advice about the odor though...