Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PPD - which doctor can help?

Default PPD - which doctor can help?

In addition to having a rough time BF my baby (she's a preemie, so we have our own set of challenges!) I think I am suffering from Postnatal depression. At first I put it down to baby-blues, but she is 5 weeks old now, and I don't feel any better.
    She came early, and fast, was in the NICU for a few weeks (when we barely got a chance to hold her), and now that I have her home I don't even feel like she is my baby. I have not yet felt happy that I am a mother (in fact, I don't think I have felt happy since she was born)....and when things get really bad I have a melt-down (hysterical crying, and a feeling of complete helplessness, and that nothing will ever feel better again), and I just don't want to look after her. My husband has been stepping in and taking care of her on those days as I just can't cope.

I know that I need to get some help, but I don't know where to turn. I'm from another country, and don't know how things work here. Do I see my OB/GYN, or do I have to go to another doctor? I feel terrified of going to a doctor that I don't know. I have my 6 week appointment next week, but feel like I need help sooner than that.

Default Re: PPD - which doctor can help?

Call your OB today and let them know that, that you need someone soon. If they aren't willing to help/can't, do you have a "regular"/family docotr you see for other illnesses? Call them and find out how to get info from them - you may or may not need a referral to a psychiatrist

You've heard the phrase One day at a time? Well sometimes it is one minute at a time... Identifying the need for help is the first vital step
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzle View Post
    In addition to having a rough time BF my baby (she's a preemie, so we have our own set of challenges!) I think I am suffering from Postnatal depression. At first I put it down to baby-blues, but she is 5 weeks old now, and I don't feel any better.
    She came early, and fast, was in the NICU for a few weeks (when we barely got a chance to hold her), and now that I have her home I don't even feel like she is my baby. I have not yet felt happy that I am a mother (in fact, I don't think I have felt happy since she was born)....and when things get really bad I have a melt-down (hysterical crying, and a feeling of complete helplessness, and that nothing will ever feel better again), and I just don't want to look after her. My husband has been stepping in and taking care of her on those days as I just can't cope.

I know that I need to get some help, but I don't know where to turn. I'm from another country, and don't know how things work here. Do I see my OB/GYN, or do I have to go to another doctor? I feel terrified of going to a doctor that I don't know. I have my 6 week appointment next week, but feel like I need help sooner than that.
    First off, HUGE from someone who's been there. It takes strength to realize something isn't right and to seek help.

To answer your question, I would call your OB/GYN right away to see if you can go in earlier. They can go over treatment options with you.

The good news is, it does get better. Hang in there, and good luck!
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

big warm hugs. i experienced ppd. it was a very difficult time.
    taking medicine helped me a lot and my midwife was able to prescribe some to me via the doctor she works with.
    other things that helped me to overcome ppd
    were writing down my feelings,
    talking with my mother and husband,
    and breastfeeding. even when i didn't want anything to do with my baby,
    i told myself i had to breastfeed him and it was much needed together time and
    the hormones were good for me i think too.

you are not alone. it will get a little better everyday.
    warmest hugs

I myself am going thru PPD. I immediately told my NP, was prescribed Zoloft and had some ativan and xanax to help with the anxiety attacks. I felt the same way, didn't want to care for my own son. He's almost 7 weeks, and I have my mom here to help, and I still feel it a bit, but it's not as near overwhelming as it was. So, believe us, it does get better.
    I can't relate to a premie but as a nurse, I've seen the reflux. (postoperatively)

Hang in there, and you'll get the help you need soon enough.

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.