Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, Baby Has Thrush, VERY fussy

Unhappy Help, Baby Has Thrush, VERY fussy

Ok, We have hit a snag and I am feeling awful.

Baby got diagnosed with thrush yesterday, luckily i spotted the spots on his tounge and lips and we took him right up and his doc saw him right away - yup, its thrush..

for about a week hes been having fussier and fussier times getting him to eat and it just breaks my heart. I try to put him to the breast, and he takes like two sucks, and then SCREAMS bloody blue murder. Its not just the breast, its the pacifier too, he does the same thing. And I KNOW hes hungry, because these are times when hes just woken up, hasnt eaten recently, and he tries to eat his hand too..

The doc has me giving him Nystatin liquid but, I am wondering.. does thrush hurt him? Could he be in mouth pain because of the thrush? Tonight he screamed for almost an hour until he exhausted himself, then I finally got him to eat for about five minutes and then I just put him down to sleep for a bit because you could tell he was just absolutely exhausted from freaking out for so long.

I also found it a little odd that the doc never said to do anything with my boobs... no cream or anything on them.. couldnt we be passing it back and forth? I wonder if I should smear some of the liquid nystatin on my nipples after feeding?

And, I have some infant tylenol here. But the directions say under 12 pounds to ask a doc. Well he is like 11 pounds five ounces.. should I call the hospital and ask or do you think it would be ok to go ahead and give him just short of a dose? Do you think it would help?

For reference:

Baby is 7 weeks old
    11 pounds 5 ounces (approx)
    Normally feeds well with no problems about 10 times in 24 hours - usually more day feeds and then after midnight sleeps till around six before eating again.
    No diaper rash, so i dont think the thrush is there yet.
    Momma has been sick with icky bowel issues all week so this is getting very difficult as being a single mom, I am trying to cope with needing to run to the bathroom and being crampy and him crying and getting frustrated because he cant eat.

Help ladies..
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Unhappy Re: Help, Baby Has Thrush, VERY fussy

another nightmare nursing session where he screamed and screamed but hes finally on now..

I actually cracked and made a four ounce bottle of formula for him

The first time i ever did that... I feel awful.

but he took two sucks and wouldnt take that either..

I am SO worn out from trying to get him calmed down and I feel awful because there seems to be almost nothing I can do but comfort him and let him CIO at the same time..
    he is on and eating now, though slowly.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Default Re: Help, Baby Has Thrush, VERY fussy

Thrush can be uncomfortable for LO. You can be passing it back and forth and yes you can put Nystain on your nipples just in case. It should pass, the discomfort, quickly. Sorry you are having a hard time. You can wash your bras in hot water and lay them in the sun to kill any yeast too.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Default Re: Help, Baby Has Thrush, VERY fussy

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowzz View Post
    Baby got diagnosed with thrush yesterday, luckily i spotted the spots on his tounge and lips and we took him right up and his doc saw him right away - yup, its thrush..for about a week hes been having fussier and fussier times getting him to eat and it just breaks my heart. I try to put him to the breast, and he takes like two sucks, and then SCREAMS bloody blue murder. Its not just the breast, its the pacifier too, he does the same thing. And I KNOW hes hungry, because these are times when hes just woken up, hasnt eaten recently, and he tries to eat his hand too..
    The doc has me giving him Nystatin liquid but, I am wondering.. does thrush hurt him? Could he be in mouth pain because of the thrush? Tonight he screamed for almost an hour until he exhausted himself, then I finally got him to eat for about five minutes and then I just put him down to sleep for a bit because you could tell he was just absolutely exhausted from freaking out for so long.

Thrush can certainly can cause pain in baby's mouth. It's not uncommon for babies with thrush to have a hard time feeding well due to the pain.

I also found it a little odd that the doc never said to do anything with my boobs... no cream or anything on them.. couldnt we be passing it back and forth? I wonder if I should smear some of the liquid nystatin on my nipples after feeding?
    You're right. Both mother and baby should be treated at the same time to avoid passing it back and forth (even if one of the dyad show no symptoms). I would suggest calling your baby's health care provider or your own and inquire about treatment for yourself.

Here are some helpful resources that offer information about treatment options and tips for preventing reinfection:
    Yeast Infections and the Breastfeeding Family
    Could We Have Thrush? (non-LLL resource)
    Thrush Resources (non-LLL resource)

And, I have some infant tylenol here. But the directions say under 12 pounds to ask a doc. Well he is like 11 pounds five ounces.. should I call the hospital and ask or do you think it would be ok to go ahead and give him just short of a dose? Do you think it would help?
    Unfortunately, I'm not qualified to tell you whether or not Tylenol would be safe for your newborn. I urge you to call your baby's health care provider regarding this. I'm sure they would be happy to help!

Momma has been sick with icky bowel issues all week so this is getting very difficult as being a single mom, I am trying to cope with needing to run to the bathroom and being crampy and him crying and getting frustrated because he cant eat.
    Do you have any support? Maybe a friend or relative that could come over to help out?

another nightmare nursing session where he screamed and screamed but hes finally on now..I am SO worn out from trying to get him calmed down and I feel awful because there seems to be almost nothing I can do but comfort him and let him CIO at the same time..
    he is on and eating now, though slowly.
    It's great to hear that your baby finally latched on and is nursing.

If you find he is unable to latch on again, perhaps try hand expressing or pumping some milk and offer him ebm via spoon, dropper, or cup (think small--like a bathroom Dixie cup or a clean medicine cup). Here is a link that offers resources for alternative feeding methods:
    Alternative Feeding Methods (non-LLL resource)

In the meanwhile, you could try offering to nurse very frequently (aiming for shorter, more frequent nursing sessions). It may help to hand express or pump to start the flow of milk so baby doesn't have to suck as vigorously at the beginning of the feed. Lots of skin to skin contact between feedings can help baby secure and remind him to nurse more frequently.

HTH!

Please keep us updated. I do hope both you and your baby are feeling better soon!