Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nursing strike

Default nursing strike

i am going through a nursing strike and i am desperate. i feel so hopeless. it all started on 4/8/09 and as of this morning she is still in the strike. she does take the breast when she is asleep though. i have read in the internet PATIENCE is the key, but i have my whole family as well as my pediatrician telling me to introduce formula and to say goodbye to breastfeeding. this is my 1st child and i really want to breastfeed. is there anyone who has recently and/or is recently going through this that could shade light in my darkest days..... PLEASE HELP

Default Re: nursing strike

I am new to the LLL and since yesterday i have been trying to post nursing strike issue. i am going throught this right now and it all started on the 4/8/08I have read articles in the internet as well in the LLL and basically PATIENCE is the key to this but i really feel frustrated and helpless. I dont stop crying when she rejects the breast. She does take it while she is asleep. My whole family as well as my pediatrician is recommending me to stop breastfeeding. I am a 1st time mom and I REALLY WANT TO CONTINUE. PLEASE HELP. Is there anyone who just recently or is going through this that could shade light into my darkest days

It's good that she is nursing when she is asleep. Have you tried to nurse her each time she goes for a nap? Also, laying on your side while nursing her may help.

I want to suggest pumping breast-milk and offering a slow-flow nipple, but that wouldn't be a good idea if breastfeeding isn't well established.

Can you give us more detail . . . how old is your LO? Is there an oversupply problem? Is she breaking the latch or not latching at all?

*Hold out on offering the formula just yet. There are some wonderful people on here who might just have the answer you're looking for!

Hello! First of all, hugs to you momma. Nursing strikes are VERY stressful for the entire family. Do you have any clue what is causing the strike? It could be a wide range of problems- teething, ear infection, major changes, different smelling product (deodorant, laundry det, perfume soap...), sickness, or just unexplained fussiness of the baby.

Since you're nursing at night that's a great sign!!! Definately keep up the nighttime nursing. Sometimes once the baby discovers the world they tend to nurse a lot less during the day and make up for it at night.

My own experience with a nursing strike was caused by an ear infection and a cold. Then he associated nursing with pain and continued to strike long after the ear infection was gone. I had to spend DAYS gently coaxing him back to breast- we took baths together, read books, cuddled, spent a lot of skin to skin contact time, and just kind'a relaxed. Then one day he latched on for about 10 minutes for comfort nursing. He comfort nursed for a few days- every time milk would let down he would scream and pull off... but then slowly we recovered. The strike was over, seemed endless while it was happening but now that I look back it seems so far away!!!

I had to pump during the strike to keep my milk flowing and I know what you're going through emotionally. I felt like crying too. But you have to understand the baby isn't rejecting YOU they are just acting out for something that's either bothering them or they're simply telling you they need more momma cuddling time.

Hang in there, and don't supplement. I personally would find another pedi that is supportive of breastfeeding. Have you attended any local LLL meetings? That's another awesome way to surround yourself with supportive women who can help you through this strike. My LLL leader is always there for me by phone calls and emails when I need help.

Keep us posted!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you for your quick response and support. She is 3 months old. At night she latches well. In the daytime is where the problem is at. She turns her face at the site(smell) of the breast and at times she screams. I do not know wether I "push" the breast or do I just simple offer and let go if she refuses? What keeps me going is the fact she does take it when she is asleep. I just tried to give her the breast at her nap time but she didnt take. Also, do I offer the breastmilk in the bottle or spoon feed her? I tried yesterday the spoon feeding and it was a disaster. I have been pumping. Please excuse my rumbling but I have some many questions......

I would love to speak with a leader but i have tried in my area and noone is available until Tues.

Is she drooling a lot? Three months is a perfect time to start teething. Is she putting her fingers in her mouth a lot and chewing on them? When she does latch does she keep popping on and off, or is it complete rejection?

Don't push the breast on her- you really have to gently approach the whole thing. Try some time with your shirt off and her shirt off. Walk around the house singing to her, and just holding her she might latch on. Also have you tried taking a bath together? That is so relaxing- even if she latches on or not it will help!

Also vary your nursing positions. Try side lying, football, moving while nursing.

Don't stress- nursing strikes are temporary!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

bottle or spoon . . .

If you're hesitant to try a bottle and the spoon isn't really working for you, you could always try feeding with a syringe. If you do decide to give a bottle of expressed milk a try, I would strongly recommend using a slow flow nipple so your LO has to work to get the milk (you don't want to make it too easy for her with a bottle, lol)

she is putting her hands inside her mouth;actually her whole fist along with sucking on her thumbs. drooling too, but not so much. i have felt her gums but no swelling nor redness has been noted. about her latching she just plain refuses to latch. she turns her face while awake.

This morning while she was awake and sucking on her fingers i did the sidelying position and slip in the breast. She actually took it for 1-2 sucks then released. eventually i gave her a bottle with nipple size 1. since i am a 1st time mom not sure if that is a slow flow nipple.

i took a bath today but no success on latching. I have been holding her and speaking with her which i think made the situation worse because my sister-in-law came by for support and when she held her she sarted to cry.

i promised myself today i will take in alot of breaths and pray for the miracle to happen soon. i am really anxious but at the same time hopeful

do i need to be holding her all the time???

Quote Originally Posted by frustrated mom View Post
    do i need to be holding her all the time???

I would say as much as possible, but of course within reason because you need to take care of yourself too. Have you considered doing any babywearing? When my son was small I carried him around in a sling most of the day and he LOVED it. We nursed right in there and he was always by my side. It really did bring him the comfort that he needed. There's a whole section on this forum about babywearing!

The stage 1 nipple is the slow-flow one. If you look at it, should only have one hole. Are you pumping enough to keep your milk supply up?

Teething is a nasty beast. If she's sucking on her fingers and drooling a bit it just might be the starting point. Usually the first one is the worst. My personal experience was that I could never figure out which tooth was coming in, I was convinced it was a top one. I never saw any raising, white shots, or anything. Then boom one day he cut a tooth... and it was right when he turned 4 months. So we were teething for most of the 3rd month until the tooth erupted.

You could try teething tablets- some people say the Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets work really well. (we never had any luck w/ them though, lol)

Don't get discouraged by her not latching on during a bath, think about the 1-2 sucks she took and also the night nursing she's doing. It WILL get better I promise you. Just relax, enjoy your girl, and for peace of mind count wet and dirty diapers to make sure she's getting enough. Take some time alone as well to keep youself together!!!

Most nursing strikes last under a week.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09