Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Does my baby bf enough?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4

    Question Does my baby bf enough?

    My dd is 10 months old now and happily eats 3 solid meals a day. I have always bf on demand, and by 6 months she was regularly wanting just 5 feeds a day. At about 7 1/2 months she began to lose interest in one of her daytime feeds, so at around 8 months I dropped it, and she's been quite happy on 4 feeds a day ever since (though I have given her more at night when she was ill). She also seemed to become very efficient and only needed a shorter feed on one side. (She used to take from both sides and a session would last 20-30 mins at around 6 months.)
    My problem is I am now finding it difficult to read her cues - it's obvious that she wants breastmilk first thing in the morning and last at night, but it almost seems like she could take or leave the 2 daytime ones. She seems happy enough to have it when offered, but does not usually 'ask' for it. We have even skipped one accidentally in the past few days and it hasn't seemed to bother her! (she just had a snack instead)
    If I do drop one of these daytime feeds (though I'm not even sure I should yet), any ideas on which one is best to drop - morning or afternoon?
    Any ideas also on how many feeds she should be getting by 1 yr? I don't think my particular baby depends as much on breastmilk as some, as she quite enjoys eating solids too. Is it 'bad' to aim to cut down to one or two feeds a day by around a year? I always wanted to bf up to a year, but am pretty vague as to what to do after that.
    I want to do what's best for her but it's confusing to know what that is, especially as sites like this seem to say I should be bfeeding her even more than I am, while it feels like society at large is surprised that I'm still bf at all...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by boobwranglin'baby View Post
    My dd is 10 months old now and happily eats 3 solid meals a day. I have always bf on demand, and by 6 months she was regularly wanting just 5 feeds a day. At about 7 1/2 months she began to lose interest in one of her daytime feeds, so at around 8 months I dropped it, and she's been quite happy on 4 feeds a day ever since (though I have given her more at night when she was ill). She also seemed to become very efficient and only needed a shorter feed on one side. (She used to take from both sides and a session would last 20-30 mins at around 6 months.)
    My problem is I am now finding it difficult to read her cues - it's obvious that she wants breastmilk first thing in the morning and last at night, but it almost seems like she could take or leave the 2 daytime ones. She seems happy enough to have it when offered, but does not usually 'ask' for it. We have even skipped one accidentally in the past few days and it hasn't seemed to bother her! (she just had a snack instead)
    If I do drop one of these daytime feeds (though I'm not even sure I should yet), any ideas on which one is best to drop - morning or afternoon?
    Any ideas also on how many feeds she should be getting by 1 yr? I don't think my particular baby depends as much on breastmilk as some, as she quite enjoys eating solids too. Is it 'bad' to aim to cut down to one or two feeds a day by around a year? I always wanted to bf up to a year, but am pretty vague as to what to do after that.
    I want to do what's best for her but it's confusing to know what that is, especially as sites like this seem to say I should be bfeeding her even more than I am, while it feels like society at large is surprised that I'm still bf at all...
    I would just keep offering unless you want to wean completly by 12 months. My dd is 10 and 1/2 months and still nurses 6-7 times a day and eats solids 3 plus times a day. And up until about a week or 2 ago she had 8-9 feedings. My dd doesn;t always ask for milk either but I pretty much offer the breast every 2-3 hours during the day. Sometimes she only nurses for a min or 2 and sometimes its more like 5-10 min.
    As far as how many nursings she should be getting at 1 year I think that depends on if you plan on weaning her or just sort of going with the flow of things. Breastmilk is always a good sorce of nutrition and immunity. When my dd recently went down to the 6-7 feedings I worried that she wasn't getting enough milk, fat and protein etc...
    I could be wrong but I would think you would want her to at least have 3-4 nursing sessions or bottles a day at least until you introduce cows milk for the fat and protein requirements that they need.

    Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    Did you see the link Jeanniebean posted on my thread???? Its really helpful...
    I coped this from it....
    For Babies 10 - 11 Months of Age:

    How much breastmilk should my baby be getting? At 10 to 11 months, at least 4x in 24 hr period (many babies are nursing more often than this, and that's fine)

    Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4

    Lightbulb Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    I could be wrong but I would think you would want her to at least have 3-4 nursing sessions or bottles a day at least until you introduce cows milk for the fat and protein requirements that they need.
    That's a good point - I kind of assumed that the breastmilk was replaced by the solids, but of course it's a drink too, and probably still the best source of calories etc. I feel happier now about continuing with the 4+ feeds a day as why would I stop them only to replace them with formula (or cow's milk)? Thanks

    ps it just shows what a weird society we live in that I have to justify to people (and myself) why I am continuing to breastfeed after 6 months...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    584

    Default Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    If you are not looking to wean then I would say you should not drop a feeding at this time. They are so busy at this age (my LO is 11 and 1/2 months) and sometimes it is the only way I can get her to slow down. Don't think of nursing as just feeding more like a tool. I use it to get her to sleep, have her rest for a few minutes in my arms, a sip when thirsty, or milk when she is hungry. We only do soilds max 3 times a day and it is after she has milk or an hour or so later. I would call it more like a snack. LO nurses about 5 to 10 times in a day. It really varies for us. You have to decide what you want to do as far as how long you want to nurse and that will give you a feel for when to cut out feedings. It doesn't matter what anyone says it is what you want that matters. Don't let other make you feel like one year is long enough because there are positives to nursing longer!
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    Breastmilk is still an important part of the diet at this age. See the graphic on this page:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

    HTH!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4

    Smile Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    Wow, that kellymom site is really helpful! I also went on to the page on benefits of breastfeeding beyond 1 year (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html).
    I wish I had more of this kind of information when I started her on solids... I don't think it's too late though to relax about things and offer her breastfeeds even more often.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: Does my baby bf enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by boobwranglin'baby View Post
    Wow, that kellymom site is really helpful! I also went on to the page on benefits of breastfeeding beyond 1 year (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html).
    I wish I had more of this kind of information when I started her on solids... I don't think it's too late though to relax about things and offer her breastfeeds even more often.

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •