Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation by pumping

Default Relactation by pumping

Hi, I am trying to start up my milk supply again. I stopped breastfeeding over five months ago, and all I can afford right now is a manual pump. I am really having trouble pumping 8 times a day, with a crawling infant it seems as if there just isnt enough time in the day. Do you think that it is just a lost cause? I really want to do this, but I feel like it is impossible. Any suggestions?

Default Relactation by pumping

Hi, I am trying to start up my milk supply again. I stopped breastfeeding over five months ago, and all I can afford right now is a manual pump. I am really having trouble pumping 8 times a day, with a crawling infant it seems as if there just isnt enough time in the day. Do you think that it is just a lost cause? I really want to do this, but I feel like it is impossible. Any suggestions?

**I first posted this in the pumping section because I didnt find this section until after! I thought I would get more help here.Sorry for the double post!**

Default Re: Relactation by pumping

We're glad to have you! I have a few questions that will help us offer you more information and suggestions...

How old is your baby?

How often are you pumping? How long have you been pumping? Are you currently able to express milk or drops of milk? What are your relactation goals?

The best pump for increasing milk production is a hospital grade pump (rental). However, that doesn't mean that it's impossible to bring up your milk production with a different type of pump.

No matter which type of pump you use, combining your pumping efforts with hand expression can make a real difference. You can see how/why in this video:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

You could also try pumping/hand expressing as frequently as possible. An extra five minutes here and there between your scheduled pumping sessions can help to increase your milk production.