Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and milk allergies

Default Breastfeeding and milk allergies

I'm not sure if I have this in the correct forum or not...sorry if it's wrong!

My son was diagnosed at the beginning of this month with a dairy allergy. Back in February he got 2 cases of hives - once from some Beechnut cereal (good evening brown rice) and the other from a small bottle of formula that DH fed him while I was out.

I asked the allergist about adapting my diet. To date I haven't cut dairy out as it doesn't seem to bother him. The allergist didn't really have an answer. He said that there are some studies out there showing that breastfeeding moms don't pass enough of the allergen on to be an issue. To have to overhaul my diet now seems a bit like fixing something when it's not broken.

So my question is should I worry about my diet...or just let it be for now? Both twins are EBF...solids are really a hit or miss as they are so much work!

Thanks!
    Becca - mom to
    Alexa 12.4.03
    Jacob 7.8.07
    Elizabeth 7.8.07

Default Re: Breastfeeding and milk allergies

I think you want the allergy forum... they will be much more knowledgable for you!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37
    that is the link to the allergy forum!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

thanks!
    Becca - mom to
    Alexa 12.4.03
    Jacob 7.8.07
    Elizabeth 7.8.07