Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unequal breasts

Default Unequal breasts

Hello,
    I have been exc. breastfeeding my son for three months. My left breast is so huge and my right breast is so tiny. I started off breastfeeding equal amount of time on each breast. Now, I am doing the smaller breast more to try to make it larger? Each breast makes good milk, why do i look so deformed!!!!!
    I know one breast is supposed to be slightly larger than the other but this is a huggggggggge difference. Any suggestions???? Thanks!

Default Re: Unequal breasts

I don't know if my issue was really similar but for a while I had one side that produced much better and faster than the other. I would always end up engorged on that side. Now that my son doesn't nurse as much, though, there isn't much of a difference. Have you tried blockfeeding? Also possibly start on the smaller side first and finish with the bigger side.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I also have a problem with one side making less, although I do not have the problem of it looking much different than the other side. I think my left side makes about 1/2 the amount my right does. DS is about 4 1/2 months old and it has been this way since he was 3 weeks old. I wonder if early on I unknowingly fed more off the right and hence the left never developed the milk production the way it should have. Anyway, what really bothered me (and worried me) was that the low side felt so flabby, like nothing was there, and that DS seemed to chew rather than suck. It was almost like there was so little tissue there that he couldn't even suck on it properly. I improved the feeling of it quite a bit by being really persistent about pumping the low side more than the other, especially if DS didn't eat a lot off that side at a feeding. I would also pump in between feedings and at night if he went more than a few hours. Basically I try to stimulate the heck out of it to force it to produce more. It's still not great but it at least feels more full and I know it is making more than it used to. More importantly DS is able to suck normally and it doesn't have that horrible "chewing" sensation when he feeds.

There is a great page about this very issue on www.kellymom.com. I can't give you the exact link, but if you do a little looking around on the site you should be able to find it. It is something like "lopsided - what do I do?" on one of the "difficulties" pages. That site is excellent for advice in general and has been referred to many times on these threads.

Anyway, I know how you feel, and hang in there! You should be able to improve things with some effort although the low side will probably never be equal to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
    I also have a problem with one side making less, although I do not have the problem of it looking much different than the other side. I think my left side makes about 1/2 the amount my right does. DS is about 4 1/2 months old and it has been this way since he was 3 weeks old. I wonder if early on I unknowingly fed more off the right and hence the left never developed the milk production the way it should have. Anyway, what really bothered me (and worried me) was that the low side felt so flabby, like nothing was there, and that DS seemed to chew rather than suck. It was almost like there was so little tissue there that he couldn't even suck on it properly. I improved the feeling of it quite a bit by being really persistent about pumping the low side more than the other, especially if DS didn't eat a lot off that side at a feeding. I would also pump in between feedings and at night if he went more than a few hours. Basically I try to stimulate the heck out of it to force it to produce more. It's still not great but it at least feels more full and I know it is making more than it used to. More importantly DS is able to suck normally and it doesn't have that horrible "chewing" sensation when he feeds.

There is a great page about this very issue on www.kellymom.com. I can't give you the exact link, but if you do a little looking around on the site you should be able to find it. It is something like "lopsided - what do I do?" on one of the "difficulties" pages. That site is excellent for advice in general and has been referred to many times on these threads.

Anyway, I know how you feel, and hang in there! You should be able to improve things with some effort although the low side will probably never be equal to the other.
    Here is the link to the direct topic you mentioned. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Thanks for mentioning it too! I too have unequal sides due to a bad wound and some misguilded information I got about being perfectly able to feed soley on one side. For me it ment a decrease in the amount I was producing. So again thanks for mentioning it hope!

My breasts make the same amount of milk, but the right is always larger than the left. It's not a huge difference, but I notice it. As my daughter got older and my milk was well established they evened out.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!