Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply changes during the day

Default Supply changes during the day

I've been noticing an issue with my supply for a while now. My LO has been gaining weight the way he should, and he has enough wet/poopy diapers. But I'm getting a little frustrated.

My son is 8 weeks old. He usually feeds every 2 hours during the day and wakes once or twice from 12am to 7am. Last week for a few days, and then this week for the past 3 days my son has wanted to eat every 1 hour (or more often) for all feedings from noon to 9pm. So I only get a half hour break at the most between feedings. He gorges himself with his morning feedings, completely emptying as much milk as possible out of both breasts. He seems very unsatisfied with afternoon/evening feeds, and usually cries as if there is not enough milk. I can't hear him swallowing for very long either. When he finally pulls away he immediately begins sucking on his hand before crying again a few minutes later.

I am already taking Fenugreek and eating oatmeal to increase my supply. What else can I do? As my little one keeps growing bigger I'm concerned that my supply isn't picking up to meet his demands. I thinking that he would be more satisfied getting more milk during the day. Oh, I tried pumping after each feeding with little result.

Is it normal to have so little milk for such a huge part of the day? Or am I the only one with this problem? Please help!

Default Re: Supply changes during the day

Since your baby is producing adequate diapers and growing, I would not suspect supply problems. What you describe sounds a lot like evenings-only colic, a.k.a. the "unhappy hour(s)" or the "witching hour(s)." It's really common for a baby who is happy throughout the morning and afternoon to turn into a cranky, nonstop-feeding mess as evening approaches.

Here's my personal theory on how evenings-only colic works: in the morning, you and your baby wake refreshed from sleep. Your prolactin levels are high (Having peaked during the night), and your milk is abundant, making for a very happy baby. As the day wears on, you and your baby both get tired. Your prolactin levels drop, and with them your milk supply, and your baby finds that it takes a bit more effort to get his meals. He's still getting what he needs- it's just taking more work, which makes a baby who's already tired and fussy even crankier.

The good news is that colic usually peaks between 3 weeks and 3 months of age. If you hang in there and follow your baby's cues, feeding him nonstop from 12 to 9, his constant nursing is going to train your body to produce more milk at the time of day when he needs it most. Hang in there, mama- you're doing a very hard job and you're doing it well!

Have you tried any breast compressions in the afternoon when you feel like there is less milk?
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

my lo will be 8 weeks on mon and your telling my story! I haven't tried taking fenugreek but I think I'll start and see if that helps. I feel like ds empties my breast in the morning and they never fill back up.