Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think I'm going to have to quit.

Unhappy I think I'm going to have to quit.

Things are going from good to bad and from bad to worse. I am in sooooo much pain and of course, par for the course, the LC from my hospital is out the whole month of July after having hand surgery. She won't be back until the 24th and I really don't know if I can make until Monday without some relief. Plus, considering she's been gone all month, I assume she will be very backed up with appointments for a while. I really need help! His perfect latch is completely gone and I've searched online for how to get it back and just can't get any success. He now will not open wide. If he does, as soon as the nipple is in his mouth he closes up. Picture it, he is ferociously rooting around for it, crying and milk is leaking all over his face, neck, shoulders, my hand, my stomach, etc. and finally I get him to open up, bring him in and CLAMP, right down and immediate, excrutiating pain. I try to breathe through it, hoping for the eventual release where he gets it right. That doesn't happen and he is really locked on. I try to stick my finger in to break the suction and try again, well he's so closed up around it, that it just makes it hurt worse. I finally get free, and my nipple is a mess. I try again and just decide to try to deal with the pain, at least he's nursing. Well that's made everything worse. My nipples are trashed. They aren't cracked or bleeding yet, but I'm sure that's next. They are in the dreaded lipstick tip shape and the pointest tip part is white and feels like a callous to the touch. Sore doesn't even describe what it feels like. I let them air out right after, use Lansinoh cream like crazy, all the tips I've read about but none of that will ever help if I can't get his latch fixed. I had a total meltdown last night because I really don't want to quit, but this is headed in the same direction that it went with DS #2 and I had to quit then. I ended up very depressed and I promised DH that I wouldn't let that happen again this time. He's trying to be supportive, but he's worried. Also, I'm pretty sure that I have multiple plugged ducts. I have several spots on each breast that feel like hard little rocks under the skin. When I was engorged, I started having to hold in my breast around his nose with my finger so he could breathe. Well, of course that probably now has led to plugged ducts....and while using some of the tips I've read on LLL, its seems to have brought me back to being engorged again! A complete and total mess. I am miserable.

I am so confused and don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. First with the latch, can it be fixed? Second, should I pump? I've read both no and yes to that (for relief of engorgement). I certainly don't want to run into an over-supply issue! Third, what do I do about the plugged ducts? I have been using a heating pad on the breast right before I feed and then I massage the area while he's nursing. Or, could that be why I'm overproducing again?

Also, he's started "slurping" while sucking. I know that's not good. And, he burps while he's still on the breast, sucking. Last time I nursed, he burped three times while still on the breast.

And to top it all off with a nice fat cherry......I'm super constipated. I don't know what's safe to take while nursing so I've been forcing prune juice down (my mom's suggestion YUK!) but no luck so far.....

So, do you see why I'm about to quit? I really really really want this to work. I just need help. Anyone?????

Default Re: I think I'm going to have to quit.

Contact your local LLL leader ASAP. Follow this link, this will help you find her now: http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Good advice above! I just wanted to add words of encouragement. Stick with it!! I know a latch can be fixed, you just might need someone right there with you to see what's going on and suggest corrections, which a LLL leader or a LC can do Hang in there - it's rough and painful sometimes, especially at the beginning, but it's sooo worth it. You're an amazing mom to keep trying for your LO

Also try drinking a LOT of water. (Prune juice is my mom's stand by as well ) That might help with the constipation.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I had a terrible time starting out with my baby, too... I went through all of the exact things you're going through. This is my THIRD baby, and if I didn't know from previous experience that it WOULD get better, I absolutely would have quit.

But it did get better....

I had cracked, bleeding nipples very badly, and they lasted for three weeks. What finally worked for me was to LAY OFF of the Lansiloh!! My LC explained to me that keeping the area wet and moist is what keeps it from healing. The idea is to keep your nipples as dry as possible (no shirt or bra between feedings), to "toughen" your nipples up. If you think about getting a cut on your finger, for example, if it's always getting wet, or you keep a bandaid on it for a long time, and don't let it dry out, it takes 10 times longer to heal, right?

Also, after feedings, expressing some milk onto your nipple helps, too... breastmilk has natural antisecptic qualities.

I would cry and scream for the first minute of each feeding during those times. I did find that pumping (bloody milk) for 24 hours on my worst side helped some.

I also had to REALLY work hard to make sure I was getting the nipple ALL THE WAY IN before he clamped down. Mine was a lazy latcher, too, and I had to retrain him.

Now, my son's 5 weeks old, and it all seems like so long ago, and we're not having those types of problems at all anymore.

HANG IN THERE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kristenco
    What finally worked for me was to LAY OFF of the Lansiloh!! My LC explained to me that keeping the area wet and moist is what keeps it from healing. The idea is to keep your nipples as dry as possible (no shirt or bra between feedings), to "toughen" your nipples up. If you think about getting a cut on your finger, for example, if it's always getting wet, or you keep a bandaid on it for a long time, and don't let it dry out, it takes 10 times longer to heal, right?
    kristenco,

That really depends on the situation. In many cases, moist wound healing (meaning maintaining *internal* moisture in the skin, not having something wet sitting on top of the skin) DOES lead to healing.

Quote Originally Posted by momshell3
    His perfect latch is completely gone and I've searched online for how to get it back and just can't get any success.
    Could you give us more information? How old is your baby? What is his nursing pattern like? Is he gaining weight? How many wet and poopy diapers in 24 hours?

He now will not open wide. If he does, as soon as the nipple is in his mouth he closes up. Picture it, he is ferociously rooting around for it, crying and milk is leaking all over his face, neck, shoulders, my hand, my stomach, etc. and finally I get him to open up, bring him in and CLAMP, right down and immediate, excrutiating pain.
    Has your baby had any artifical nipples? Does he appear to be in pain? Think back...what changed between his "perfect latch" and now?

I try to breathe through it, hoping for the eventual release where he gets it right. That doesn't happen and he is really locked on. I try to stick my finger in to break the suction and try again, well he's so closed up around it, that it just makes it hurt worse. I finally get free, and my nipple is a mess.
    Ouch! If it's hurting, it's so important to break the suction and try again. Leaving him on in a bad position only will lead to your nipples getting worse and worse.

I try again and just decide to try to deal with the pain, at least he's nursing. Well that's made everything worse. My nipples are trashed. They aren't cracked or bleeding yet, but I'm sure that's next. They are in the dreaded lipstick tip shape and the pointest tip part is white and feels like a callous to the touch. Sore doesn't even describe what it feels like.
    OUCH! Sounds like your nipple gets compressed between his gums, then it is bruised.

I let them air out right after, use Lansinoh cream like crazy, all the tips I've read about but none of that will ever help if I can't get his latch fixed.
    Yes, it is important that the latch issue is fixed.

I had a total meltdown last night because I really don't want to quit, but this is headed in the same direction that it went with DS #2 and I had to quit then.
    Oh no! What happened with your second child?

Also, I'm pretty sure that I have multiple plugged ducts. I have several spots on each breast that feel like hard little rocks under the skin. When I was engorged, I started having to hold in my breast around his nose with my finger so he could breathe. Well, of course that probably now has led to plugged ducts....and while using some of the tips I've read on LLL, its seems to have brought me back to being engorged again! A complete and total mess. I am miserable.
    The plugs could be related to many things. Let's discuss that in a bit. First, I'm wondering which tips you used that your milk production has increased so much?

First with the latch, can it be fixed?
    Yes! Don't give up hope. It's hard for us to help you with latch via this message board because we can't *see* what is going on. We can help you with information and support, though. And we hope that you will *see* someone locally.

Second, should I pump? I've read both no and yes to that (for relief of engorgement). I certainly don't want to run into an over-supply issue!
    You can pump just enough for comfort.

Third, what do I do about the plugged ducts? I have been using a heating pad on the breast right before I feed and then I massage the area while he's nursing. Or, could that be why I'm overproducing again?
    Heat and massage wouldn't cause the increased milk production. It sounds like you're doing all the right things for your plugged ducts. Are you noticing that they are being removed? Or are you still feeling lumps.

Also, he's started "slurping" while sucking. I know that's not good. And, he burps while he's still on the breast, sucking. Last time I nursed, he burped three times while still on the breast.
    Sounds like a combination of an "off" latch and a lot of milk, but it's hard to tell just by your description.

And to top it all off with a nice fat cherry......I'm super constipated. I don't know what's safe to take while nursing so I've been forcing prune juice down (my mom's suggestion YUK!) but no luck so far.....
    Oh goodness! That must be terrible! If you're early postpartum, certainly call your doctor! They need to know that you're having trouble moving your bowels.

I'll be looking for your reply. Hang in there!

Have you thought about your childs pediatrician? When my first baby was born and my milk came in, she couldn't latch on. Well, I had no idea what engorgement was so I took her to the Dr. trying to figure out why she wouldn't eat. One of the nurses there had lots of experience in breastfeeding and she helped me so much. We succesfully breastfed for 17 months!

Or, you could get a good friend that has lots of experience to help as it's the weekend.

((((hugs))))

Deep breath. I'm sure you'll figure this out. Give you and your baby some time! You've received some good tips. Find some local help in addition to the support you've found here. I know you'll reach your goals!

Good luck!