Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soy formula ?'s

Default Soy formula ?'s

I think I remember seeing somewhere on the forum that soy can be problematic for various reasons, but I can't remember why. I want to get some info to a friend. I don't really know anyone with food sensitivites so I figured if anyone would know about it, it would be my fellow LLL mamas!

Long story short- She is BF'ing her DS, 2 months old, but feels like she needs to give him 2 oz of formula at night in addition to nursing. She thinks he isn't getting enough and wants him to sleep longer. I've gone off onto my subtle, but preachy, tangents about the subject, but to no avail.

She told me yesterday they switched to soy formula instead of the regular b/c they felt he was too gassy and upset by it. Any info would be great. TIA!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Default Re: Soy formula ?'s

I had to give my LO soy at one point because she had diarrhea. Here's a useful link from the Dr. Sears website about soy, and formula in general.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp#T031004

Soy has isoflavones in it which act like estrogen (female hormone) in the body. When you give a baby soy formula exclusively you are giving him/her female hormones equal to 5 birth control pills a day. I think due to this concern some countries started to ban the use of soy formula. Research has documented the use of soy formula leading to menstruation starting as early as 2 years of age in girls and infertility in boys when they become adults.

If your friend is open to information, you might share this resource with her (link after quote):
    The idea that solids will help your baby sleep is an old wives' tale that has been disproven by medical studies. Feeding your baby solids or formula in an attempt to make baby sleep longer is not a good idea for several reasons...
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html
    If she's open to the conversation, you could ask her why she feels she doesn't have enough milk and suggest ways she could help her baby "tank up" on breastmilk before bedtime.

If she's NOT open the conversation, don't let it bother you too much. The best you can do is offer alternative information in a supportive way. It's up your friend whether or not she accepts your offer.

Hi, I have heard alot of bad things about soy especially in formula. Here is a few links that may help.

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/infant.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-one.aspx

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/03summary.htm

Soy Baby Formula Linked to Behavioral Problems

Soy Formula Exposes Infants To High Hormone Levels

SOY INFANT FORMULA — BIRTH CONTROL PILLS FOR BABIES

There is a great deal of scientific evidence that soy formula can be damaging to newborns.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

There may be worries about soy, but I'm not sure there are any documented studies showing any real link between those concerns and soy formulas...

This is from Dr Sears website (the link by PP above):

Many of the objections to soy formula are perhaps more theoretical than practical (since studies have shown that healthy term babies grow just as well on soy as they do on cow's-milk-based formulas). It's what we do not know about soy that concerns us. The soy bean protein brings along with it a lot of other phytochemicals (plant nutrients), some of which may be healthful, and others we just don't know about. Cow's-milk-based formulas have been around for nearly a century. We don't have that much experience with soy, so be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    If your friend is open to information, you might share this resource with her (link after quote):

If she's open to the conversation, you could ask her why she feels she doesn't have enough milk and suggest ways she could help her baby "tank up" on breastmilk before bedtime.

If she's NOT open the conversation, don't let it bother you too much. The best you can do is offer alternative information in a supportive way. It's up your friend whether or not she accepts your offer.
    Thank you for the link! I've offered advice on "tanking up," but she's not very receptive. It's wierd, she's one of those women who works VERY hard at her job and school, but is resorting to what's "easier" when it comes to her baby.

I completely agree it's up to her what she does with the info/advice I give her. It's her baby, her body. This was just a topic I wasn't familiar with and wanted some more info on in case we discuss it again.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

i've heard bad things about soy as well; however, my husband and his brother both had soy formula 30 years ago because they were allergic to the other. if only my MIL would have breastfed...

I'm a RN in an ICU for sick babies. I took care of a very ill LO the other day who is formula fed. Baby was having tummy issues (in addition to other problems) and docs wanted to change her to soy formula. Our dietician said it wasn't a good idea at all, that soy is "bad stuff." I didn't get the details from her--now I wish I had. She told me though that she doesn't think any baby should be on soy. If they truly have allergy or intolerance issues, there are other (stinky, more expensive) formulas to try, but she would need to see a doc about it.

Most likely, the tummy troubles your friend describes are from the artificial milk (aka: formula).
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!