Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tanning Bed

Default Tanning Bed

Hi Everyone,

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 6 mo. son and I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and would love some nice rosy cheeks. I do go swimming with my son through the summer, but I am wondering if anyone knows anything, hazards or otherwise, about breastfeeding and going to the tanning bed. I hardly ever go - it has probably been about three years since the last time, but I thought it would be nice to have some color for the wedding. No big deal one way or the other, but seeing as my body is not really mine right now, I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt my son. Thanks so much for any advice!

Default Re: Tanning Bed

It seems to be safe just be careful not to burn. Have fun at the wedding!

Quote taken from:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/tan.html

Is it safe to use a tanning bed? Will it affect my milk?

The BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 3rd revised edition, published by La Leche League International, states on page 449, "No evidence exists that the nursing mother's use of tanning beds has any effect on her breastfed baby."

It is important to limit exposure so that burning is avoided. Some mothers have reported getting burnt nipples and breasts when using tanning beds. This is extremely painful so be sure to cover your nipples and breasts and use caution. If any vitamins or medications are suggested to enhance the tanning, be sure to check with your health care provider before taking them.

Are sunless tanning creams safe while BFing? Like Jergins bew one?

Cookie: Here is a link from "Dr. Hale's Breastfeeding and Medications Forum" It's about sunless tanners and breastfeeding.

Here's the link...

http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discu...tml?1058466337