Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which postion did you find most helpful?

Default Re: Which postion did you find most helpful?

crossover to latch and then i switch to cradle until he's done.
    side-lying is great when i need some sleep.

At the hospital they encouraged the cross cradle, but found at home that the football hold was better. Now we switch between the cross and football hold. Still trying to perfect the side lying.

My DS was 9 lb 14 oz at birth and I found every position difficult at first. My big post-partum tummy seemed to get in the way! DS always seemed way too big for the football hold and that never worked for us.

What worked for me was sitting in a chair with a regular bed pillow flat on my lap with him laying sideways on it in front of me. It's still what we use today and he's 4 1/2 months old. We do the side-lying position for early-morning feeds and he does okay with that, but I don't feel like he takes as good of a feeding that way and I've noticed his latch just doesn't seem as good. For some reason I find the cradle hold difficult! I got a boppy pillow as a shower since everyone seems to love them but I never use it. It just didn't work for us either. Way too firm and there is too much space between it and my stomach no matter how hard I try to shove it against my tummy.

We used cross-cradle in the beginning, although some of the nurses in the NICU encouraged us to try football hold when DS was really fussy or refusing one side (we'd start him on the favoured side in cross-cradle then pull him around into football on the other side).
    Now we use cradle, side-lying and can even nurse in a hip carry in the sling!
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

With either kid I wasn't able to get side lying to work at first. I used football and cross cradle. Now I use side and cradle/occasionally cross cradle if she's having trouble. She's grown too long to be comfy doing football-a shame because it was so easy to read to the toddler that way! I had 2 c-sections FWIW.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

cradle during the day sometimes, we usually use the boppy. sidelying at night. Never could figure out cross cradle or football holds.

NAK

Thanks, Ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post

What worked for me was sitting in a chair with a regular bed pillow flat on my lap with him laying sideways on it in front of me.
    My DD was 8lb 15oz and this is what I ended up doing too. The "by-the-book" positions don't work very well for me.

Another tip I love is using a burp cloth under my breast to support it. Makes it much easier for DD to latch on and I can sometimes get away with one handed rather than two handed BF.