Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins?

Default Vitamins?

So this is my 4th baby and our 3rd doc (we've moved 2 times) so with each baby I've gotten different medical advice. At my daughter's 2 week appt last Wednesday her pediatrician gave me a Rx for vitamins with iron. I questioned the iron since babies are born with iron supply to last them at least 6 months. She did concede that the iron was optional at this point but that she needs the Vit D to prevent Rickets and if we're giving vitamins we might as well include the iron. I'm definately not on board with giving her iron that she doesn't need at this point. I'm also not convinced she needs Vit D - it's not like it's an Alaskan winter here. The doctor had suggested giving her the vitamins during her bath as it can stain. She went on to say that if we only bathe her every other day it would be fine to give it to her every other day. I thought that was pretty amusing as I still hadn't given her a bath at that point I've never had a doc give a vitamin Rx for a newborn. Our first doc had given my 2nd child a Rx for flouride (although he hadn't done the same for first baby) and of course I filled it and never gave it to her.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Default Re: Vitamins?

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

maybe this will help

love that new picture!

I got the same vitamin D prescription at DS's 2 month checkup last month. I still haven't filled it, because I take 200 IU of it myself with my calcium (vit. D help in the bones' absorption of calcium), and I'm certain he gets some of what I ingest.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Breastmilk is the perfect food. What Doctors are doing by advising the use of vitamins is making women not trust their bodies and their breastmilk.

We're getting closer to consistent nice weather now. No reason why you can't get her out for 15 minutes of sunshine per day, right? And you don't have to go out every day because the body can store vitamin D.

I have always loved this commentary by Dr Jack Newman:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...d/?msg=44185.7
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

*eh* I wouldn't bother with it until later when she's over a year OR a hemo. test at 9/12 mo shows she needs the iron. Otherwise the rest comes with a good diets and then vitamins I give on occasion.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I feel the same way as you. I wouldn't worry about iron as long as you are taking prenatals and are exclusively breastfeeding. My DD is 6MO and because she is starting solids and I was making my own rice cereal I asked her doctor if I should supplement with iron and he didn't seem concerned and said they do an iron test at nine months, so I'm not worried about it.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Breastmilk is the perfect food. What Doctors are doing by advising the use of vitamins is making women not trust their bodies and their breastmilk.
    That's my basic feeling.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Our first ped recommended vitamin D at either 3 or 6 month checkup (can't remember which). She said it was what the AAP recommended but she also said that if we got adequate sunlight we need not bother with it. She told us to just use OTC drops. At 9 months she said DD's iron level was just a little low so we started iron drops. I have since found out that most bf babies iron levels are a "little" low. So, I wonder if that is actually normal. DD was eating plenty of iron rich foods Anyway, we started the drops but switched peds for various reasons. The second ped did not retest the iron level but said (at 12 month appt) that she typically recommends all of her patients take a multivitamin. But, then, at the 15 month appt we asked again if we still had to continue the vitamin. This time she said that as long as on average she was getting the appropriate nutrition on a weekly basis then we did not need to add a vitamin. She also said that bf at that point was like giving a great big multivitamin anyway so we did not need to add a vitamin if we did not want to. You just never know what they are going to recommend.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Our doc told us to give vitamins too. But my first son was not given any since this was not the "popular" belief of peds at that time (1993)

He is a happy, healthy, smart 9 y.o. boy now!

It seems like ped advice changes every year but healthy kids keep getting raised and were well before our time of taking vitamins.

Trust your instinct. You are the only expert on your own children!

I don't know where you live but I give my lo Vitamin D in the winter. We live in the northern us and we don't get much sunlight in the winter. Now that its warming up I probably won't ger her any until next winter. Breastmilk is the perfect food. I can't belive they want you to give iron to a newborn. Seriously If you eat a diet that has iron in it I would think you would be all set. I just had my totally breastfed daughters iron levels checked at her 9 month appointment. I never gave her an iron suppliment and only gave her iron fortified cereal like twice in her life.. her levels were just fine!!!!!!! If you are concerned I would get a iron level done before giving a baby or child an iron suppliment. Its only a fingerstick anyways. FYI for next winter This company makes vit D only suppliment just for breastfed babies- no odors, no staining, no flavorings, no other vits- www.sunlightvitamins.com- Its called Just D.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!