Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Post Partum?

Question Post Partum?

Ladies -
    I am going to see my doctor today because I am going thru a lot of stress, anxiety and a little bit of depression. I am currently breastfeeding my 3 month old. I would like to get some ideas and opinions on what you think about zoloft? I have taken it before but my concern is more along the lines of being able to take it and breast feed. Is it safe for my child? Would she even get alot of it thru the milk? I have checked the zoloft website and I could not find anything about breastfeeding mothers. I have done a little research and I am finding that some say it is ok...and some say no..what are your thoughts?

Default Re: Post Partum?

I take the Zoloft and have been since February. Looking back I should have gone on something after my first lo but did not. With the second baby it got to be just too much for me so I swallowed my pride and went to the dr. I started off on 50mg but we changed it to 100mg once a day. It has truly changed my life perspective on everything...it is what made me realize I should have gone on it before. My dr felt totally comfortable in giving it to me. At the time my lo was only on BM no cereal. They put a sticker on my bottle that says consult your dr if you are breastfeeding but she gave it to me so I feel good about taking it. The info guide they put in with my prescription says it is not known if the Zoloft is secreted in the milk. However the pharmacist and dr both said that less than 5% of meds are released in the milk. Good luck!

Default Re: Post Partum?

Quote Originally Posted by melindabwell View Post
    I take the Zoloft and have been since February. Looking back I should have gone on something after my first lo but did not. With the second baby it got to be just too much for me so I swallowed my pride and went to the dr. I started off on 50mg but we changed it to 100mg once a day. It has truly changed my life perspective on everything...it is what made me realize I should have gone on it before. My dr felt totally comfortable in giving it to me. At the time my lo was only on BM no cereal. They put a sticker on my bottle that says consult your dr if you are breastfeeding but she gave it to me so I feel good about taking it. The info guide they put in with my prescription says it is not known if the Zoloft is secreted in the milk. However the pharmacist and dr both said that less than 5% of meds are released in the milk. Good luck!
    This is exactly what happened with me. Most prescriptions for Zoloft run only for 6 mos. at the longest. If you're still having depression after that stretch of time, therapy is usually recommended.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)