Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help! Starting Solids!!!

Default Please Help! Starting Solids!!!

Hello ladies,

I have started my LO on Cereal about 2 weeks ago, she is 28 weeks old and I want to start solids, which I am going to make myself!!!! but the question I have is she is now having cereal 2 times a day, 2 tbs with 1oz EBM. I want to give her 3 meals a day when we start the real stuff, but I do not know any thing! :yike

Here is her schedule:
    7:20am nurse
    9:30 or so Cereal and 3.5oz bottle (day care)
    1pm or so 3.5ox bottle (day care)
    4pm or so 3.5ox bottle(day care)
    6pm nurse
    7:30 nurse and Cereal and then nurse!!!!!
    11pm nurse
    4am nurse

Here are my questions!!!!!

1. How much food? Should I mix it with the 2Tbs of Cereal?
    2. Should I give her 3 meals a day? and if so how much food????
    3. Will it hurt my milk, my supply is already low?
    4. Should she still have the 3.5oz bottles with each meal or should I split it up? I could feed her every 2 hours at day care, give her food and then a bottle 2 hours later or vice versa.

Please help, so many question and I do not want to mess this up!!!
    1st Goal 3mo 12-30
    2nd Goal 6mo 3/30
    3rd Goal 9mo
    4th Goal 1 year

I am becasue you are and you are because i am!

all day and Love all night!
    with DH Corey for 1 1/2 years!

Default Re: Please Help! Starting Solids!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Addy View Post
    1. How much food? Should I mix it with the 2Tbs of Cereal?
    2. Should I give her 3 meals a day? and if so how much food????
    3. Will it hurt my milk, my supply is already low?
    4. Should she still have the 3.5oz bottles with each meal or should I split it up? I could feed her every 2 hours at day care, give her food and then a bottle 2 hours later or vice versa.
    I had lots of questions when I started DD on solids too. It does get easier! How much? I'd say let her lead the way. We started DD with 1 meal a day and added a second about 1 month later, then added a third meal about 1 month after that. Every LO is different in regards to how much they eat. My DD, 8mos, is a piggy and eats 4oz at breakfast, 4oz at lunch, and usually 6-8oz at dinner in addition to 3 bottles of BM will at the sitters. But I know other mamas here whose LOs are older and still eat much less. You won't hurt your supply if you continue to make sure that BM is her primary nutrition and offer BM before solids. If you start seeing that your LOs BM consumption starts dropping you can always back off on solids. When my DD is at daycare the DCP offers her a bottle first and then solids about 30 mins later. I have instructed DCP to offer bottle first ALWAYS and not to offer solids unless she's drank the BM. HTH.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Please Help! Starting Solids!!!

Congrats on deciding to make your own baby food! I thought starting solids was such a fun stage. This site is a great resource for homemade baby food info. There's a lot of info on making and introducing new foods.

Like other pp, we slowly worked up to three meals as DD got used to eating solids. I think in your situation, I would probably replace one of the cereal feeds with a fruit or veggie to start, and feed her as much or as little as she wants. Do the same food for 3-4 days before introducing another one so that you can look for reactions. We also did nursing right before eating, so her main nourishment was BM. At daycare, though, they fed solids in between bottles, since I was pumping the same number of times either way so it wouldn't affect supply and kept her happier.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07