Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure if I'm producing enough milk...

Default Not sure if I'm producing enough milk...

I've started expressing my BM, but I'm only getting 4oz if I'm lucky. I've been expressing about every 2 hours. I've started do that because my little one seemed like she never got enough off the breast. My main concern is her diapers have started turning a little green. We haven't had another doctor's appointment yet, she will be 4 weeks on Wed. Her appointment isn't til next week. So she drinks the whole bottle that I had just pumped...starting to get a little discouraged. I'd really like to breast feed, but not sure what to do??? Please help!
    Mommy of 3, newest DD, Jordyn, born 3-19-08

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

Default Re: Not sure if I'm producing enough milk...

Getting that amount pumping and still nursing is a great amount. The best way to tell if baby is getting enough (thus you're producing enough) is by their diaper output. Here's a resource to help you figure that out (once she reaches over 6 weeks use this one )

Regarding the poops, greenish is well with in typical, while it can be a sign of other things you can read more on typical poops here

Then, the question becomes, what makes you feel she wasn't satisfied? Know babies goe through many growth spurts (more reading on that here) and they are much more efficient at getting milk out of mama than any pump

Keep us posted.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...erns.html#poop

check out the poop links at that link

Opps- I forgot the all important "I think my supply is low" link, so here it is.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you so much for all the help!! I looked at the site on "I think my supply is low..." it definitely answered alot of my questions and really made me feel at ease. BF is continuing with much success, just more often in the evenings. 'Cluster feedings' is definitely happening with my Jordyn. Thank you so much! This site is such a blessing!!!

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

They all have days when all they do is nurse!
    You can do it..
    Your baby is very young yet, as she gets older you'll get to know her beter and that will help!

Ok, so I'm back to feeling like I'm not producing enough. She's only nursing again for about 5 minutes then acts like she's done, then 20 minutes later is back to wanting to nurse. I like her nurse again on the same side, and I can keep doing this for over an hour before she finally seems ok. Her diapers are back to being green, and I mean really green!! Once she's done I then have been pumping the other breast, and am only getting maybe an ounce! Does that mean that's all she's getting?? I was wanting to pump also to get a supply up for emergency cases, plus my husband would like to feed her on occasion, but at this rate I'll never have any extra...not sure what's going on. Any advice?

Birth weight 9.4lbs
    Left hosp 8.13lbs
    2wk 9.3lbs
    6wk 10.13lbs

Quote Originally Posted by esorrell07 View Post
    Ok, so I'm back to feeling like I'm not producing enough. She's only nursing again for about 5 minutes then acts like she's done, then 20 minutes later is back to wanting to nurse. I like her nurse again on the same side, and I can keep doing this for over an hour before she finally seems ok. Her diapers are back to being green, and I mean really green!! Once she's done I then have been pumping the other breast, and am only getting maybe an ounce! Does that mean that's all she's getting?? I was wanting to pump also to get a supply up for emergency cases, plus my husband would like to feed her on occasion, but at this rate I'll never have any extra...not sure what's going on. Any advice?
    If she wants to nurse 20 minutes later, let her. She is building your supply. It is time consuming in the early weeks but things will get easier. Only getting an ounce after she nurses is fine. Pumping is not a good indicator of supply because babies are much more efficient at removing milk than a pump is. As for the poo, here is a link that might give you info:
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-A.htm
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)