Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much Worry

Default Too much Worry

I am a first time mother to a 13 week old little boy. It had always been my intention to breastfeed, I just knew automatically that that was what I would do. Having been breastfeed myself until the age of two, it only seemed natural that that was what I would do for my child as well. Also being a very health conscious person, eating organic as much as possible, fruits, veggies, whole grains...of course I would be concerned about giving my baby the best food possible as well, even more so! However, I was unprepared for the difficult start to breastfeeding that I encountered. It was unfortunate, because if I had just had more information, I could've saved myself so much stress, strain, and heartache. (I kick myself for it too because I usually research topics of interest all the time but for some reason it never dawned on me that breastfeeding was something I should know more about, I just thought it would all come naturally, didn't realize that it can be so difficult some times)...Now it doesn't help that I'm a worrier by nature. Not being able to directly see what my baby was getting made me uneasy at a time when confidence is so necessary. (To avoid rambling on and on I'm going to cut this shorter) Long story short, I ended up supplementing a couple oz's a day of formula early on before I knew any better. I have phased that out. I nursed more frequently, he got better at it, I got better at it. I pumped to increase my milk in case my supply had suffered due to earlier supplementation. At his 2 week visit, he was up to 8'9 oz, (birth weight 7lbs. 15 oz., leaving hospital weight 7 lbs. 6 oz.)...At his eight week appt. he was 11 lbs. 12 oz....Now approximately a week before his eight week appt. I had phased out those couple of oz.'s of formula a day. He has not had any since. I bought a scale (cuz I figured that if it would help to put my mind at ease then it was a smart thing to do), so I've been keeping track of his weight and I am a little concerned. At his first two appt.'s he was in the 50th percentile. At 13 weeks he is about 13 lbs. 5 oz. Do I have reason to be concerned? Is it possible that he was just being overfed before back when I was adding in those couple oz's of formula?
    Basically, I am in need of a bit of a support team. I love my little boy so much. I hope that he doesn't sense this worry within me. I try my best to make sure that he is happy always.
    My sister in law had a baby 7 weeks before my little boy was born. She breastfed for 8 weeks and then switched over to formula. Her little girl is huge. I think that might add to my concern a bit that she is so much bigger than he is, but then again, I do know that formula fed babies tend to gain quicker than breastfed babies, or at least in some cases.
    I know that a lot of my worry is probably ridiculous, but being a worrying person before being a first time mother, this was only to be expected.
    I think I'll be fine with just a little encouragement. I am lacking much of a support system in my day to day life. But of course, the best support that I have had so far, the greatest source for inspiration, is that angel of a little boy that has come into my life and made this an even more wonderful place to be!

Default Re: Too much Worry

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job giving your LO a good start in life. Don't know how much truth there is to this but I was always told that formula babies tend to get that chubby baby look much more so than BF babies. I know my LO is just long and lean compared to her little friends. What does your ped say about your LO's growth? Is he nursing often? Plenty of wet dipes? Happy and healthy otherwise? Are you nursing on demand? If so, I wouldn't worry yourself. I know it is so easy to get caught up in it because you want so badly to be sure you are doing the right thing. My LOs is 8 mos and my DH STILL worries if she is nursing long enough to get the hind milk (which she is). So, I think we will always be worriers. That goes with parenting.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Quote Originally Posted by I<3SidneyPatrick View Post
    it never dawned on me that breastfeeding was something I should know more about, I just thought it would all come naturally, didn't realize that it can be so difficult some times
    I understand completely. I also want to kick myself for not realizing that just because breastfeeding is natural doesn't mean it's also easy. If I'd known to seek help immediately instead of trying to soldier on alone, I could have saved myself a world of pain and trouble. Well, 20/20 hindsight, right?

Quote Originally Posted by I<3SidneyPatrick View Post
    At 13 weeks he is about 13 lbs. 5 oz. Do I have reason to be concerned?
    No, I don't think you should be concerned at all! If I converted your child's weight to metric and read this growth chart for breastfed baby boys correctly, then your son is still around the 50th percentile for weight, which is just great!

Thank you both very much. Once I wrote it out and looked back on it, I was able to put the situation into perspective better. It just seemed like his weight gain was slowing down some, (I probably should just start weighing him every couple of weeks or once a month, rather than every week)...But I do nurse him on demand, he has plenty of wet and poopy diapers all day, he is quite happy and healthy otherwise, so I'm sure all is well...I'm starting to relax more and just enjoy this beautiful process. I am feeling much better. Thanks again for your support.
    Last edited by I<3SidneyPatrick; April 17th, 2008 at 08:06 AM.