Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight gain concern - need help please!!!

Default weight gain concern - need help please!!!

My LO was born 7lbs 40z, 1st wk visit she weighed 6lbs 7oz, at this point she was bf and at night after i fed her and she wanted more she got an oz or so of formula. 2wk appt she weighed 6lbs 4oz, i got really worried. I still bf her but if she acts like she is still hungry after she eats, i give her oz or so of formula. So she takes two or three times a day some formula after nursing. Is there any way to increase my supply. I know formula is not gonna help, but I want to gain weight first. I haven't had a chance to pump yet, since I feed her almost every 2 hours usually on demand. I was planning to take fenugreek, how many capsules you need to take. Any other advice would be of great help. Thanks!! (Oh, her doc suggested some kids take longer to gain weight)

Default Re: weight gain concern - need help please!!!

Really, adding formula actually hurts your supply. If your lo still seems hungry then nurse some more. Nurse frequently. In the early weeks you do nurse constantly. This is what helps your supply. It is hard and demanding but it does get easier after the first few weeks. Removing milk from the breast is the best way to increase supply. If you want, you can pump immediately after you nurse. You may not see much milk at first but it will help to increase your supply since you are stimulating the breasts. Also, lots of skin to skin contact with baby will help supply. Do you co-sleep? Have you considered this? Does your baby still nurse at night?

Here is a link to check out. I personally would not start taking fenugreek this early. Lots of women think they have a supply issue when they don't. Really it is a matter of nursing frequently in the early weeks to build supply.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

Congrats on the new little one!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I also thought I had a supply issue. My LLL Leader suggested to try the Mothers Milk tea. Thats how the box labled in the organic section in my store. If you like black licorice, you will love this tea. I have @ 4 cups a day.

I do agree w/ the pp, more nursing means more milk. That helped me too.

I nursed my son when he was new every 30 min to an hour. It is exhausting but it does stimulate milk supply.

thnx for the feedback. even before i give her formula, i would nurse her first atleast an hour switching breasts in between, i don't givve up that easily, i would not give her formula if it wasn't for the wt gain issue. I tried pumping twice after i fed, there was hardly anything. I will try the mother's milk tea and will call a LL leader soon and see what she would recommend. Thanks for your input.We cosleep as well and at night I only bf.

Quote Originally Posted by ssaritha View Post
    I tried pumping twice after i fed, there was hardly anything.
    Pumping after nursing is a good idea, even if you're not getting much. That extra stimulation will help you produce more.

What kind of pump do you have? I ask because I had supply difficulties when my daughter was a newborn, and I increased my supply by pumping (and taking fenugreek, blessed thistle, and Reglan, which is a prescription drug that is used off-label to increase milk supply). At first I was using an Ameda Purely-Yours and having very little success with pumping, but when I switched to a hospital-grade rental pump I saw a large increase in the amount of milk that I was pumping, and also the amount that I was making.