Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: solids and milk supply

Default solids and milk supply

Hi ladies - I'm a first time poster but have been reading everyone's postings.
    There have been a lot of great advice so maybe someone here can help me with some questions?
    I plan on introducing solids to my 4 month old around 5 or 6 months of age.
    My question is - how often do I feed him solids (plan to start on rice cereal first) and how often do I still nurse? I don't want my milk supply to decrease if he's going to start eating solid food. I plan on continuing to breastfeed him until he's at least 1 year old.
    Has anyone's milk supply decreased due to feeding solids?

Thanks,
    Stormy1

Default Re: solids and milk supply

Here's some good info on starting solids & and another here and one here on first foods.

It is possible as the less baby extracts from the breast the less the body will make .... read the links when you get an opportunity and see if it helps you a bit more

Keep us updated.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by stormy1 View Post
    Hi ladies - I'm a first time poster but have been reading everyone's postings.
    There have been a lot of great advice so maybe someone here can help me with some questions?
    I plan on introducing solids to my 4 month old around 5 or 6 months of age.
    My question is - how often do I feed him solids (plan to start on rice cereal first) and how often do I still nurse? I don't want my milk supply to decrease if he's going to start eating solid food. I plan on continuing to breastfeed him until he's at least 1 year old.
    Has anyone's milk supply decreased due to feeding solids?

Thanks,
    Stormy1
    Your baby should not decrease is nursing amount until at least 8 months or so. BY that I mean he shouldn't go from 8 feedings a day ( for example) to 6 before around the 8 month range. Solids should COMPLIMENT nursing not replace until that age. If you want to nurse until 1 year old is best to go slow with the solids.
    I would encourage you to wait till at least 6 months ( when your baby can sit up and try to feed himself) and to try to start with a more nutritous food than rice cereal which is wall paper paste in my opinion!! Kellymom.com has good charts and info on what to introduce when. When we started we did a few bites of a solid.. say applesauce every few days, then went to every day and then 2 a day etc... She didn't eat food 2 times a day or so until around 8 months. Now at 10 months she eats solids 3 + times a day and still nurses around 6-7 times.

You milk should make up the bulk of his diet until 12 months. oz for oz breastmilk has more protein and fat than most solids foods so you don't want your baby fillling up with rice cereal which is devoid of any nutrition except addeded iron which probably isn't needed anyway.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Great, thanks! His pediatrician said that at his age, he should only be eating 5 times a day. Which sounded a little low for me, considering he still nurses as often as he wants or as un-often as he wants. Do you guys have inconsistent frequency of feeding (nursing) with your babies too?
    We were recommended to try rice cereal by the doctor around 5 months but I may wait a little longer. I don't want solids to be his main diet yet......

Quote Originally Posted by stormy1 View Post
    Great, thanks! His pediatrician said that at his age, he should only be eating 5 times a day. Which sounded a little low for me, considering he still nurses as often as he wants or as un-often as he wants. Do you guys have inconsistent frequency of feeding (nursing) with your babies too?
    We were recommended to try rice cereal by the doctor around 5 months but I may wait a little longer. I don't want solids to be his main diet yet......
    Don't listen to your ped!!! 5 times a day for a breastfed baby that young is ridiculous!!!!! Seriously... peds are so bad with breastfeeding advice!! my 10 1/2 month old nurses 6-7 times a day. ALWAYS nurse on demand!! A bottle fed baby might eat 5 times a day.... but a breastfed baby??? BAd advice. My ped told me my dd should be nursing 3 times at 9 months...... PLEASE.... You don't want solids to be main diet until closer to 9-12 months. Check out those kellymom links. There is lots on good info on their about delaying solids until at least 6 months old!!! Follow your instincts and not your peds advice when it comes to solids.....

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Yeah, I thought 5 times was way too little, considering I feed my son anywhere between 8-12 times a day still. Sometimes I think I'm force feeding him though cuz he will just eat for less than 5 minutes.
    Thanks for the links all
    But I'm still curious as to whether your milk supply has decreased once you started offering solids? Or is the 6-7 times nursing still a decent amount to maintain your milk supply?

Thanks and love your daughter's name btw. If we had a girl, Keira was the name we picked