Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding with Implants?

Default Breastfeeding with Implants?

I am 6 months pregnant with my first child, and would really like to breastfeed her. I had saline breast implants put in about 8 years ago, with the incisions made under my areolas and the implants put under the muscle. The doctor told me that this shouldn't affect my ability to breastfeed later on. Just doing a quick search on the internet, it seems that breast implants (especially when the incisions are made where I had them) can and are likely to reduce my ability to breastfeed. I feel quite worried about this! I suppose all I can do is try when the baby is born, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the expert opinion is on breastfeeding after breast augmentation surgery?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Breastfeeding with Implants?

I had saline implants put in 6 years ago and happily and easily nursing my 11 month old girl. My implants are under the muscle and my incision is under my areola as well. I have not had any trouble at all. I too was worried but it has not had any impact on supply or ability. I think the key is to start nursing as soon as they will allow, check with your OB but most places let you nurse within moments of birth if all is well. They other things that will help is to not use a pacifier or bottle until your and baby are nursing easy, usually around 6 to 8 weeks. I have nursed on other baby prior to implants so I have that to compare too and I would say there is no difference. Just be determined. My OB said mother nature has a way or working things out if you want it to. Oh, one other thing if you are not going to LLL meetings I would start so you can get to know the leader so if any trouble does arise, or any other lactation consult for that matter.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Hi & welcome!

Absolutely you can! Here is a great link with more info.

http://www.bfar.org/augmentation.php

Thanks SO much!!! I feel better already! I am really determined to give it a try, and really looking forward to it!