Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: braless in Austin

Unhappy braless in Austin

Hey out there! I'm trying to get some input on my bra situation.

I can not wear a bra without getting a plugged duct. WHY???
    Does anyone else have this problem? I have well fitted bras with and without underwire. Anything putting any pressure what so ever on my breasts leads to pain.

The only thing I can wear is a tank top but let me tell you this offers no support and I'm on the large side as it is (D cup) so, I'd really like my girls to stop resting on my post-partum belly if you know what I mean

Does anyone else out there have this problem and/or do you have a particular nursing bra that works well for you?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Default Re: braless in Austin

how old is your baby?
    many mothers find that they quit having troubles as their milk supply evens out 8-12 weeks or so.

this might help too
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

What about a nursing tank with a self bra?? I know it's not much support but it's something.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

I've been using Lana wool nursing pads and not only are they super comfy but the manufacturers state that the wool helps maintain breast health. The pads are larger than regular nursing pads and the intent is to keep the breast warm. By keeping your breast warm, plugged duct and mastitis are prevented. Here's info lifted from the cottonbabies website:
    The larger size of the pads stems from advice Scandinavian midwives and nurses have long given to mothers - "keep your breasts warm to prevent plugged ducts". My feeling is that the mild warmth keeps blood vessels dilated and "everything flowing". Although there is no documentation that I'm aware of, I know of cases where this seems to hold true. I knew of one woman who claimed that she couldn't go out to her mailbox without wearing her (medium sized) pads or she developed plugged ducts! As a lactation consultant, I'm aware of the many concrete causes for this problem, but I feel that if a woman is doing everything right, and still has a tendency to develop plugged ducts, that these pads may help. In either case, they feel extremely soothing and comfortable against tender breasts. In addition, the natural wool fibers pull moisture away from skin, keeping it dry and able to breathe, allowing sore nipples to heal. Many women in Denmark, where LANA products are well-known, begin wearing the pads during pregnancy, claiming that breastfeeding, as a consequence, has gone more smoothly.

As a side note, I've never had problems with plugged ducts and don't leak much but the pads have been a life saver for my sore nipples.
    Here's a link with a good selection and cheap shipping. http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/index.php?p=77
    Last edited by @llli*AllNightDQ; April 15th, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Thank you to all who have responded so far!

My baby is 20 weeks old now and I have tried the Glamour Mom nursing tanks with the shelf but that is actually when I got the worst mastitis of my life (and I've had it 10 times total, 9 with my first son who I BF'd over 3.5y.o.)! Both sides were infected and I had a fever of 103, chills so bad that after I got better my neck was sore from the tensing of my neck muscles!!

Last week I tried to wear a regular Motherhood nursing bra and by noon I was feeling some soreness on the left side so I took in off fearful of being so sick again. (I have 3 kids and I can't afford to be sick!)

I have looked into everything, researched mastitis, been on antibiotics, and the major cause of my problem is if something is touching my breast during let down that's it! I'm sick! They are just so sensitive. and it makes it really really hard to nurse in public!

I will try the pads thank you All night DQ! I have never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jjkalt View Post
    Thank you to all who have responded so far!

My baby is 20 weeks old now and I have tried the Glamour Mom nursing tanks with the shelf but that is actually when I got the worst mastitis of my life (and I've had it 10 times total, 9 with my first son who I BF'd over 3.5y.o.)! Both sides were infected and I had a fever of 103, chills so bad that after I got better my neck was sore from the tensing of my neck muscles!!

Last week I tried to wear a regular Motherhood nursing bra and by noon I was feeling some soreness on the left side so I took in off fearful of being so sick again. (I have 3 kids and I can't afford to be sick!)

I have looked into everything, researched mastitis, been on antibiotics, and the major cause of my problem is if something is touching my breast during let down that's it! I'm sick! They are just so sensitive. and it makes it really really hard to nurse in public!

I'm sorry, you may just have to wear a tank. I've had mastitis twice with my dd, and I know it's no fun.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jjkalt View Post
    I really hope they help you!
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Did you try wearing the nursing bra "open" (flipped down... I don't know how to say it, lol). For me it was a real help, gives you some support under the breast but doesn't touch the nipple or areola...
    HTH (a tiny little bit!)
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Have you tried the madela bras without underwire. So far I've been very lucky and haven't suffered from any breast infections but since I've lost weight gradually my bras have always been a little big at some point or another -that could be a reason why. Also, I've noticed bras just don't fit the same for some reason which is another reason I chose these bras. They're really supportive, it nearly feels like a sports bra, but don't squish your boobs. Maybe you could try them with a bigger band size so that they don't put any pressure points on your breasts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

What about a sports bra? Thats the only kind I can wear right now without getting sore!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks