Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk production ?

Default milk production ?

My dd Olivia is about 6.5 months, and she still nurses at least once, and sometimes twice, during the night. I'm ok with that because I think she is truly hungry, and she goes right back to sleep afterward.

My question though pertains to how my body is adjusting to it. Usually she nurses on the right side during the night if it is only 1 time (we only do 1 side per feeding), and so by the morning I am very full on the left side (which produces more milk as it is). So I guess you could say my left side thinks she is sleeping through the night! I pump that side in the morning and get 6-8 ounces, which is great because I work and I need that milk to get enough for her each day. But, will that side eventually start making less milk if she doesn't eat at night, even though I pump it in the morning? Should I alternate more or is it better to let one side do all the work?

Hope that all makes sense! Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: milk production ?

Hi!

I have the exact same thing. I just pump that side first thing in the a.m. and get about 5-6 oz. DD is 5 months old and I've been doing this for about 2 months now. No problem with less milk supply at all.

I read your intro post - Welcome

Default Re: milk production ?

HI...I am not sure if it will affect your milk supply, but I usually try to alternate. DD is almost 4 mths and she only wakes once at night for a quick drink so she only takes one side for a very short period. I pump the other side while she is nursing bcause I'm already super full from sleeping in 6 hrs or so. I try to remember to switch the side she feeds from so I can alternate my pumping on both sides. I don't know if it matters or not but it has worked for me so far!

I just hope she keeps up this sleeping pattern when I go back to work in Aug!