Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tying to Wean?

Default Tying to Wean?

My daughter is 9 months now and I wanted to begin weaning her off the BM. The trouble I am having is, she is not taking any other milk! I have tried pumping milk out but it seems my supply gets low! If I pump 1 1/2 -2 onces in the am, my breast do not seem to fill up completely again. So I have not been consistence with the pumping and mixing milk! I tried giving her straight soy milk and she will NOT take it!

Feeding Schedule:[/U]
    5:30 am bm
    7:30 am bm
    10:30-1:00 pm breakfast (solids)
    1:30 pm bm
    3:30-5:30pm Fruit/Juice/Dinner (solids)
    9:30 pm bm
    12:30 am bm
    3:30 am bm
    back to 5:30 am
    *subject to change*

Default Re: Tying to Wean?

Is there a particular reason that you want to wean at 9 months? You should know that until 12 months babies should drink 24-32 ounces of breast milk or formula per day and any other milk should not be given since their digestive systems are not ready for cow's milk and other milks (soy, rice, etc.) don't contain the necessary nutrients. If you wean her before 12 months you will need to give her formula.

Also, you'll want to make sure you're using the right kind of pump for the frequency that you're pumping. Many inexpensive pumps are for 'occasional use' and do not cycle enough to maintain milk supply. If you plan on pumping daily, you should invest in some kind of electric pump, ideally a double pump. With your LO being only 9 mos of age, you can still get a lot of use out of quality breast pump.

Well, I set a goal of 5 months and was happy with 6 months then 7,8,9 came around and I just feel tried I want to go back to normal living! She feeds often and I would like to maybe leave her with grandma, have daddy do a feeding. Sleep maybe 5 straight hours!! My eating is not always the greatest! I haven't been taking care of "me" Please do not misunderstand this I love her with all my heart and some more!!! I just feel tried and sluggish!! Her doctor said I could introduce the soy milk in replacement of the BM since I came this far? Is this right?

Some Venting,
    Thanks for listening!

I have an Avent electric pump! Its great I am just not producing as much milk as before! I drink the teas (rosemary). Funny when I bring her straight to the breast she always seems satisfied!??

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha13 View Post
    I have an Avent electric pump! Its great I am just not producing as much milk as before! I drink the teas (rosemary). Funny when I bring her straight to the breast she always seems satisfied!??
    That's because pumps are not as efficient as the babies. From what I have read your doctor may be wrong on the soy milk. The fat and protein content is just not enough for an infant (and even for a toddler less than 2 years old). See the link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...kcalories.html
    Up to 1 year it is either BM or formula. Between 1 and 2 years it is either BM or whole cow's milk/cow's milk products. Fat and protein are critical for the development (especially brain development) of children until they are 2 so if you'd like to wean from the breast, I'm afraid you may have to either pump BM (at least 16-24 oz a day for a 9 month old) or give formula until your baby turns 1.