Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Brewers Yeast for production

Default Brewers Yeast for production

I had read that taking brewers yeast can help increase milk. I started taking it and have noticed a difference. I was wondering thought if it could cause a yeast infection in me or in my daughter. Does anyone know or have experience taking this for milk production?

Thanks

Default Re: Brewers Yeast for production

Got this from Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer's_yeast )

"Dietary supplement
    Due to its rapid metabolism, yeast contains a high concentration of the B vitamins, whose functions are related to metabolism, as well as other minerals and cofactors required for growth. It can therefore serve as a good dietary supplement of these nutrients. "Brewer's yeast" can also refer loosely to any nutritional yeast. S. cerevisiae is the usual species for this purpose.[1]

Side effects have not been reported from the use of brewer’s yeast, although allergies to it exist in some people. It is not related to Candida albicans fungus, which causes yeast infection.

Because it contains a highly biologically active form of chromium, supplementation with brewer’s yeast could potentially enhance the effects of drugs for diabetes (e.g., insulin or other blood sugar-lowering agents) and possibly lead to hypoglycemia. Therefore, people with diabetes taking these medications should not supplement with chromium or brewer’s yeast without a doctor's supervision."

I sprinkle it in my oatmeal for breakfast in the morning. It tastes bad but I haven't noticed any side effects.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I make lactation cookies with it. It calls for 2 to 4 spoonfuls (can't remember tea or table spoon). If I use 2 it doesn't help much and if I use 4 it upsets my stomach. Three seems to be right for me.