Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 week old pulling away

Default 10 week old pulling away

I am having the same problem that others have mentioned - baby pulling away from the breast, and getting upset, but I think the cause of my problem is a bit different. My baby is 10 weeks old. For the past 3 weeks I have had to supplement 0.5 oz with each feed after doing pre/post weights and finding that she was not quite getting enough. She is now pulling away from the breast except at night when my breasts are VERY full - this is now, unfortunately the only time I can get her to take milk from the breast. I have been using the (Medela slow flow nipples). I think my supply has improved and I likely don't need to supplement anymore, but now she doesn't want the breast and gets very upset when I try.

I think she has become used to the immediate result from the bottle and no longer wants to wait for my letdown. I met with my LC today to use a supplementing device at the breast. I am assuming this is an attempt to retrain her at the breast.

Has anyone experienced this? And do I have hope of my baby feeding from the breast again?

Thanks for any advice - HELP please!!!

Default Re: 10 week old pulling away

Have you tried breast compressions?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Default Re: 10 week old pulling away

I have tried breast compressions and they did work in the beginning when she was falling asleep at the breast, but they don't seem to work with the pulling away.

One key thing I've noticed is that I have a much better chance of feeding her from the breast when she is not upset / crying. If she's already crying b/c she's hungry, I don't have a chance at getting her to take the breast.