Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encouragement PLEASE

Default Re: Encouragement PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by melissac View Post
    How do you go about finding a BF-friendly doc? I'm thinking I just look in the phone book and start calling around??? Like I need ANOTHER thing on my list!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you know anyone else who BFs their LO, you could ask who they see. We kinda got lucky after switching from one we didn't like (for the same reasons as you). In my experience, younger docs are more likely to be BFing friendly, but I'm sure that's not always true.

Probably the best way is to get a few recommendations and then call them to ask some questions about their ideas on BFing and supplementation. It's a pain, but at least then you'll know your LO is getting the best care.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Nothing surprises me anymore. fI PED treated you that way. I'm so sorry, mamma. I agree with pp. Wets/poops okay, then you keep on trucking. And ask the "why" behind what doc says. It may be time to find a new ped who is more supportive of what you want to do.
    Darn these people! My LO has been having trouble taking a fake nipple since I've gone back to work 2 weeks ago, and my mother told me I'd just have to quit BF!!! pppppsssshhhhaaaa!!
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Thanks for all the great encouragement. I needed it! I decided to change doctors (what a task!). This doctor is the one who had me supplementing DD by the time she was 2 weeks old and she tried that this time with DS but I refused. How do you go about finding a BF-friendly doc? I'm thinking I just look in the phone book and start calling around??? Like I need ANOTHER thing on my list!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I'm sure we'll be happier in the longrun. Thanks again everybody!!
    i know exactly how you feel, we went through this at like 3 weeks old, what worked for us was to get a list of Doctors who were on our insurance plan, a reasonable distance from our home, and start calling asking 'initial' questions, these included:
    how many drs in the practice - we wanted more than 1 less than 5
    will we always see a dr or sometimes a nurse - if i have an appt i prefer to see a Dr, a weight check i'm okay with a nurse
    how long were we on the line bfore we got a person! (some offices had insane automated hold queues, it was like calling the cable company!!!) - we looked for a live person answering right away
    was the receptionist personable, friendly
    accepting new patients
    what hospitals they have privledges at (there are several around us and we wanted to use the better ones)
    if i call with a sick lo or question how long before i get a return call (ours calls by end of day usually by lunch if you call in am)
    can we get in to see doc same day with a sick lo - our always fits in with sick lo it just may be longer wait
    seperate wait areas for well and sick children - seems simple but some don't have any division or you have to walk through/sign in in the sick area to get to well area??
    average time between booked appointments (this should be like 15-20 minutes)
    if they passed this round of questions i asked for a consult with the dr (to interview them)
    at the interview i asked about breastfeeding (our original ped had been like yours pushing to supplement), antibiotic use (long story but the short of it is i don't want a doc who throws antibiotics at everything), and vaccine refusals (we don't refuse all vaccines but some) and finally about growth charts percentile rankings - the dr said she charted growth based on each child not a percentile (she dosen't even give us the precentiles when we go in)
    we lucked out and the first group we interviewed was perfect on all accounts!!

I know it seems like a lot of work but we're glad we did it now, our staff encourages BF every visit, i can stay and nurse as long as i need after each visit, they encourage me to feed after vaccines to help soothe... i couldn't be happier
    sorry this was so long but i wanted to share what worked for us HTH
    Last edited by Lidarln; April 16th, 2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: adding more
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks for all the great encouragement. I needed it! I decided to change doctors (what a task!). This doctor is the one who had me supplementing DD by the time she was 2 weeks old and she tried that this time with DS but I refused. How do you go about finding a BF-friendly doc? I'm thinking I just look in the phone book and start calling around??? Like I need ANOTHER thing on my list!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I'm sure we'll be happier in the longrun. Thanks again everybody!!
    Ask your midwife/OB/GYN! My pedi was referred to me by my midwife, who also takes her children to him. It also helps if you meet/talk with a prospective Dr. before you need their services. That way, you have a good idea what their philosophies are, and whether or not they'll support your plans for BF-ing.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Our dr had the same mentality with my first lo. He was set that she needed formula because of her weight gain, or lack of. I was devastated and I my LC told me there was a different growth chart for breastfed babies. Most drs used the same chart for formula and breast babies and that she said they should not. I am going to try and post the link. I printed the chart off and took it to my dr with the website and a ton of info about breastfeeding babies, all thanks to my LC. He never mentioned supplementing again, not even with my second.

Here is the link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart3.html

Stick with it, your lo sounds fine to me.

She wasn't happy that DD was 25th% even though she was following the curve. She wanted at least 50%

that makes no sense..i worry about doctors soemtimes......50 % is the average..ie i would assume it means almost half of babies will be below and half above!!......so why even say that! if all doctors wanted at least 50 % then if that happened..and all bables became at least 50 % surely 50% would then turn into the lowest percentile .... if that make sense..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start