Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encouragement PLEASE

Default Encouragement PLEASE

So we just got back from our 4-month well visit at the ped and I'm slightly discouraged. When she walked in, I was BFing DS and she made some kind of noise, not sure what, but it made me feel like she was meaning, "Yeah, right, you and that breastmilk aren't good enough for this baby." Mainly, I felt that way after the very FIRST thing she said to me was, not "hey, how are ya," but, "OK, you're going to have to start supplementing with formula." He's only gained 2 pounds in 2 months and she thought he should have gained 3 or 4. She said I needed to start giving formula in addition to breastfeeding and I KNOW what happens next -- breastfeeding is on its way out the door! She was comparing him to my daughter who I had to supplement with becasue I never made enough milk for her, probably b/c I was supplementing before I ever left the hospital! She said since DD had to be supplemented, he probably would be too. Horse SH--!! I was never able to pump even an ounce with DD and DS has had nothing but breastmilk from day one. He's doing great developmentally. He's tiny, but he's happy and healthy looking. He's meeting developmental milestones and he has at least 6 wet diaper a day. Please tell me this is all ok and I don't need to supplement him. I told her I would just try feeding him more often since he's sleeping all night and having a 5-hour nap during the day and she said, "Ok, you can try that for 2 weeks but then come back for a weight check and we'll see if you have to supplement." Who does she think she is? I'm his mother and I'll decide what's best for him but at the same time, I don't want to cost him his health!! Thta's why I need some encouragement or advice. If you think I should supplement b/c of his weight, please say so. He's under 3% she said. He was 4 lb 12 oz at 1 week old and is now 9 lb 12 oz at 4 months old. What do you think? TIA
    LLL Leader Cabarrus County, North Carolina

Default Re: Encouragement PLEASE

It sounds like he's gained about 5 oz per week? Was 4lbs 12oz his lowest weight? This is on par with average weight gain for a BF infant.
    How are is diapers? You said he's happy and healthy, that's great!

Here is some more info on Average Growth of the Breast fed Infant

If your doctor feels like this weight gain isn't good, ask why specifically. You can ask What are the risks and benefits to supplementing (you know this!) and what are the risks of introducing formula?
    There are other options to try before just going to formula, how would your doctor feel about trying all of those options first?

When trying to find a breast feeding friendly Pediatrician a good question to ask is what would you do if my child wasn't gaining weight. The BF friendly would say, we'd take a look at breast feeding management and here are the contact numbers for IBCLC's who I can refer you to.

So you could try that approach with your doctor, you want see an IBCLC and get her opinion on how to proceed, if it's determined that you MUST supplement you'd like to supplement with your pumped milk and see how that goes.

It sounds like you don't feel your pediatrician supports breast feeding at all, is it possible for you to get a second opinion or to see another doctor?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Maybe you should look into a different ped, one that is more bf friendly. My first ped kept having me come for weight checks which just freaked me out. DD is small for her age but not too bad. She has always met or exceeded milestones and seems happy. We switched to a more pro bf ped due to some other reasons and I have been really happy. When I asked about DD's weight (at that time DD was in the 5th percentile I believe) she just said she is doing great. Someone has to be on the small end of the scale which makes perfect sense. I hate how some doctors keep pushing us to fatten kids up. That is probably one of the reasons we have the obesity issues in our society! I don't want to tell you to disregard your ped's advice because I am not a medical expert. But, it sounds like you are doing great.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

We dumped a doc for telling me that! She wasn't happy that DD was 25th% even though she was following the curve. She wanted at least 50%. I would have been concerned if DD was losing ground, say 25, then 20, then 15 for several visits, but that wasn't the case.

I'd say as long as he's happy, has adequate wet and dirty diapers, and is gaining, which he is, then it doesn't matter what % his weight is. Sounds like he started off little, so she can't expect him to suddenly be a much higher %. That's my 2 cents anyway.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

Your LO is gaining just like mine! She's 9 pounds and a couple weeks shy of 4 months. She gains so slow but is already meeting all the 4 month milestones. She's slowly creeping toward the charts but not on them yet. Her ped is super bf friendly and has never said anything about supplementing!! Its the Dr., not you! Stand your ground!
    new mom to yael justine, born 12/20/07 4lbs 7oz

cloth diapers all the way!

I am with you!!!!! This is what is going on with me. But my ds is 9mo. I keep reading about this same topic all over. For us though, ds is on solids. I want to pull my hair out though. As breastfeeders, we are doing what is best for our children and doctor's are telling us we are wrong. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE???!!!!!
    June 29, 2007 First day of motherhood to my son.

Oh my god, I can't believe she said that crap to you! That's ridiculous! That sounds like GREAT weight gain to me! I'm so glad that you're educated about this and aren't just taking the doctor's word for it. It's so depressing to think of all the women who blindly follow doctors that they should be able to trust, but can't. Anyways, keep up the good work and change doctors!
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Quote Originally Posted by bakelite View Post
    Its the Dr., not you! Stand your ground!
    Some people feel nervous about standing their ground when it is doctor but you have to trust your instincts too! You are with this baby all the time and know if he is unhappy after feedings and isn't thriving. I feel like you are right to be upset. I would just comment that you don't wish to suppliment and if LO DR protest then I would consider if this is the DR for you. If you don't agree but want to stay with them that is ok too. My pedi told me to nurse 3 times a day only at our 9 month check up and I said we nurse every 3 hours and he told me it wasn't need and I simply replied I know but we are happy. It sounds like Little man is doing great.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Thanks for all the great encouragement. I needed it! I decided to change doctors (what a task!). This doctor is the one who had me supplementing DD by the time she was 2 weeks old and she tried that this time with DS but I refused. How do you go about finding a BF-friendly doc? I'm thinking I just look in the phone book and start calling around??? Like I need ANOTHER thing on my list!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, I'm sure we'll be happier in the longrun. Thanks again everybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    It sounds like he's gained about 5 oz per week? Was 4lbs 12oz his lowest weight? This is on par with average weight gain for a BF infant.
    How are is diapers? You said he's happy and healthy, that's great!
    4 lb 12 oz was his lowest weight and his diapers are normal. He's happy and meeting all developmental milestones so I'm going to trust my insticts and just find another doctor.