Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergic to rice cereal?

Default Allergic to rice cereal?

My lo is 7 months. I've been trying solid since he was 6 months. I started with rice cereal sweetened with milk. i didn't know it was sweetened with milk till i read the label carefully. i then mixed it with non sweetened one. then i added pureed carrot. a few days later he developed rash under his chin. he also started vomitting after i added carrot. at first i thought he was allergic to the milk in the rice cereal. so i stopped giving him the sweetened cereal. the rash and vomitting persisted. so i stopped solid a few days and reintroduced after the rash and vomitting stopped. i gave him only the non sweetened rice cereal and the rash returned but not the vomitting.

my question is could he be allergic to rice cereal and carrot? it is supposed to be the least allergic food. what should i offer him the next time? i gave him rice cereal based on the advice of my pd. should i try giving him plain porridge?

Default Re: Allergic to rice cereal?

My Son did the same. Everytime I tried rice cereals or oatmeal, he got a rash. Sometimes the rash appeared only after 2-3 days of giving it to him, so it was hard to me to know. The Pediatrician said that it is unlikely to be an allergic reaction. But I stopped giving him the cereals (plus he never liked it anyway).
    Please let me know what your pediatrician suggested?
    Thanks a lot

You may want to try your question in the Allergies forum... those ladies are experts.

Oh, and yes, it is possible to be allergic/sensitive to anything really, but it could also just be a coincidence or environmental factor (soap, detergent, etc). Did you add something new to your diet recently (that would be in your milk)?
    DS 11/16/07 :: Infant reflux and milk protein intolerance, egg and peanut allergies

Quote Originally Posted by shee shee baby View Post
    My lo is 7 months. I've been trying solid since he was 6 months. I started with rice cereal sweetened with milk. i didn't know it was sweetened with milk till i read the label carefully. i then mixed it with non sweetened one. then i added pureed carrot. a few days later he developed rash under his chin. he also started vomitting after i added carrot. at first i thought he was allergic to the milk in the rice cereal. so i stopped giving him the sweetened cereal. the rash and vomitting persisted. so i stopped solid a few days and reintroduced after the rash and vomitting stopped. i gave him only the non sweetened rice cereal and the rash returned but not the vomitting.

my question is could he be allergic to rice cereal and carrot? it is supposed to be the least allergic food. what should i offer him the next time? i gave him rice cereal based on the advice of my pd. should i try giving him plain porridge?
    I am confused.. there is milk in the cereal already or you are adding milk? what kind of milk?? Some babies have problems with the iron that is added to cereal. Try banana or applesauce instead.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

I'd forgo the packaged foods and try whole/fresh foods You know just whats in those and can identify an allergy better

Here's a link with more info on first foods.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Many rice cereals, even if not advertised as sweetened, have milk proteins or soy in them. Earth's Best is one brand that has none of that crap. I'd read the label and see if that might be the issue? By now, though, if your baby has a milk protein allergy or soy allergy you'd probably know it as if you ate those products baby would have a reaction. . . . Sorry, that's all I got. I've read some baby's have reactions to rice cereal but do okay on oatmeal.