Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do they start cutting back on BM?

Default When do they start cutting back on BM?

Hi!
    My lo has always eaten (nursed or bottle) about every 3 hours. She's 7.5 months now and over the past 1.5 months or so she seems to want to stretch from ~9 until ~1 or sometimes even 1:30. Now she's pretty sure that she wants to wait that long for that feeding and will bite me if I try to nurse her sooner (which she only does when she's not hungry) or she'll barely touch her bottle if the daycare tries to feed her earlier. I've always fed her "on demand", so I know in that sense it's no big deal. Right now she gets 3 bottles at daycare and eats a small amount of solids for breakfast. We get home at about 5 and she has solids for dinner and nurses at about 6:00, 7:00, and a little bit at about 7:30 on her way to sleep. (those evening "cluster feeds" are not very long each.)

My problem is that making that bottle at 1 or 1:30 means she doesn't want her next one until 4:30 or so (I usually get her from daycare at ~4:20 and it takes us ~20 minutes to get home.) Usually, if she hasn't had a 3rd bottle by the time I get there, I feed it to her before we go home (though she often only eats about 1/2 of what she normally would...) The other day, DH picked her up and just brought the bottle home and gave it to her ~5:00...

I'm just afraid that as she stretches her feedings apart, she'll end up have less breastmilk. But then, maybe that's normal now?

I don't know - when do most babies start doing this?

Sorry this is so long...

Thanks!!

Default Re: When do they start cutting back on BM?

I just posted something about how many feedings 9-12 months old are doing.. check it out it might help you a bit. 4 hours is a bit long but I guess you can't force them to eat. Does she eat lunch (solids?)

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

No, she does not eat solids for lunch right now. Just breakfast and dinner. You're right, we definitely can't force her to eat. (She makes her desires CLEARLY known when it comes to whether she wants to eat or now, that's for sure!!)

My son does this when he is in-between growth spurts. Then one day, he will wake up HUNGRY!!! And for the next however many days, he will nurse, nurse, nurse, and eat, eat, eat.

He has gone through these cycles several times. It drove me batty at first. I even took him to the doctor a few times because I was worried about him not eating. Doctor said it was fine and normal.

Maybe this is what your lo is doing?