Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding exclusively for first 6 months . . . . . . ?

Default breastfeeding exclusively for first 6 months . . . . . . ?

This may seem like a silly question, but here goes. I've read that I should breastfeed exclusively for the first six months and I know that that means no formula. But, does it also mean no solids? My doctor acted like dd could start eating some cereal around four months. I'm just wondering if I should wait until six months. Thanks in advance for any info!

Default Re: breastfeeding exclusively for first 6 months . . . . . . ?

My ped recommend 6 months.

My DH has food allergies and my dd is susceptible (she doesn't deal well with cow protein). And some say when you introduce foods to early you can increase their chances for allergies.

We will try wait until 6 mos if we are still bfing.

My ped said they don't need cereal at 4 months. He said some parents give it to their babies because they think it will make them sleep longer, which really isn't true.

You can strictly bfeed for the first six months. You may find that you want to introduce solids around 5 months if your baby seems hungrier or interested in trying solids. I would talk to your ped, though.

I know many peds say you can start at 4 months, mine did too. However, after all that I read I decided to wait to 6 months as is most often recommended. My doctor wanted us to start cereal due to extreme reflux, but it didn't even make a difference so I stopped.

Hi!

My dd is 4.5 months old, and I started solids in a very minor way with her this week. My pediatrician said that under six months, solids are about trying out new tastes and new oral-motor skills, and not about nutirition. I only give her solids (so far, a tiny tiny bit of mashed banana) after she has breastfed- that way she doesn't fill up on them. The way I decided she was ready to try something new was that she was looking really interested in what my husband and I were doing at dinner time- watching intently the movements of food from plate to mouth.

Here's a good article about first foods and why delaying until 6 months is best:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

DS just had his 4 mo well baby check today and the ped said that he was happy with us starting solids at 6 mos b/c DS is doing so well on BM alone(97% percentile for length and weight). The AAP recc 6 mos unless there are special circumstances. Here's the link. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496.

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

The AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months. For allergy prone babies I think this is even more important. Some great links:

When should my baby start solids?
    Why Delay Solids?
    Dr. Sears on Starting Solid Foods (and why to wait)
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
    UNICEF
    US Department of Health & Human Services
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    American Academy of Family Physicians
    American Dietetic Association
    Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
    Health Canada

My DD is 7.5 months old and still exclusively breastfed. She's in the 80th percentile for weight/height, happy and already cruising! We are following her lead on when to start solids. Breast milk provides complete nutrition for the entire first 12 months, so there's no rush. Most of a baby's solid food the first year is just for play and experimentation.

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon