Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: introducing a sippy cup

Default introducing a sippy cup

any tips? I really need to start sending my son to daycare a few days out of the week, but I can't unless he will take a bottle or sippy. He has refused the bottle for a few months, and I've pretty much given up on that. He gets really mad when I give him the bottle - even if he sees the bottle, he gets mad. At least with the sippy, he is interested in it and wants to play with it. He puts it in his mouth and chews on the spout, but he seems really confused about the milk and won't drink. When the milk comes out, he makes an awful face and spits it out. And this is fresh breastmilk, not frozen or refrigerated.

Thanks for any advice or help!!

Default Re: introducing a sippy cup

You could try a straw sippy cup, with one of those silicone straws. You can also try water in it at first and you take a drink and then offer it to him.

You might also be surprised at what he does take when you aren't there. Many mothers find it very hard to give baby a bottle (or even a sippy) with milk in it, when they are there. Your LO knows the real thing is there, why would he want a sippy cup!

Could you do an hour trial run with the daycare, or even with your DH or a friend?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Why don't you try a cup with a straw? Oddly enough my son, who hasn't mastered a sippy cup yet, knows how to use a straw. I think the concept is probably more similar to the breast than a sippy cup because when they suck out of the straw the liquid comes up and out. I always wondered how my son could try to eat while lying on top of me on my chest -when I saw him use the straw it clicked. Also, I think the sippy cup is hard to use for them because they don't get the concept of putting their head back, with a straw that isn't necessary. Just an idea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Thanks for the help! I haven't tried the sippy with a straw yet, but I will definitely give that a try. My mom has watched him a few times when I had to go to the office (generally I work from home), and he won't take more than an ounce or two from a bottle while I am gone. She hasn't had to watch him since we started trying a sippy. DH is going to try giving him a sippy in the evening while I am busy doing other things.