Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO with bad breath...is this a problem?

Default LO with bad breath...is this a problem?

For the past few days my DD (8mos) has had bad breath. Not horrible, but a noticeable morning breath/saliva smell all day. I've never noticed this before. She BFs on demand and gets 3 meals of solids a day...no changes to this or to the types of solids lately. Her top 2 teeth are coming in (just broke through the gums in the last 2 weeks). She's not drooling. She doesn't use a paci or have any other lovey/toy in her mouth. Thoughts on what's causing it? Is this a problem or common?
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: LO with bad breath...is this a problem?

Bad breath can be a sign of two things: infection (does she have a runny nose or anything) or something stuck up the nose. If it doesn't get better soon, I would make a call to the ped. just to be sure. It could be countless other things, but if it's just started and it's noticable, then I would definitely call.

my nephew had this and his ped told my SIL that it is a sign/symptom of teething!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I've notice my lo has been having bad breasth, I have been cleaning her mouth with water and a q-tip... I see improvements.... however, I'll call the dr just in case...

Always call the doc if you're concerned, but I'd, off hand, attribute it to teeth and the funky things that live on teeth, that aren't present/as present when there's no teeth. Baby getting solids of any kind?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Always call the doc if you're concerned, but I'd, off hand, attribute it to teeth and the funky things that live on teeth, that aren't present/as present when there's no teeth. Baby getting solids of any kind?
    My lo is getting solids 3 times a day... she is getting cereal, rice, veggies, and folk eggs... all pures for her easy intake .... Her teeth had been bothering her lately... she has anything she can in her mouth and will try to rip it with her gums....

How is your lo doing???

Quote Originally Posted by Sambarou View Post
    My lo is getting solids 3 times a day... she is getting cereal, rice, veggies, and folk eggs... all pures for her easy intake .... Her teeth had been bothering her lately... she has anything she can in her mouth and will try to rip it with her gums....

How is your lo doing???

I was actaully asking the OP if her babe had solids, but for you, if you're LO has not teeth but is getting solids, cleaning now and again is a good idea
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes, she's getting 3 meals of solids a day. We brush her teeth each night.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

anything white on her tongue???? I am thinking of thrush..... if not its a good idea to brush babies teeth or gums with a baby tooth brush and water or a washcloth 1-2 times a day.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    I was actaully asking the OP if her babe had solids, but for you, if you're LO has not teeth but is getting solids, cleaning now and again is a good idea
    ooopsss!!!