Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many "meals" a day at 6.5MO?

Default How many "meals" a day at 6.5MO?

I'm wondering how many times a day your LOs eat solids. I tend to offer food about three times a day (an hour after I BF) and she always seems really excited to eat, but doesn't eat a whole lot (maybe a tablespoon at a time). I'm not worried that she's not eating enough since she started eating at 6MO. I guess I'm just wondering if it's okay to offer food frequently. I'm always watching her cues and stop feeding when she loses interest.

BTW we aren't doing BLS pretty much b/c I worry about choking and I've actually enjoyed doing the purees and making her food, but I'm really trying to do the best I can of letting her lead the way. I let her grab the spoon a lot to feed herself and I never try to force it. I'll feed her as long as she looks at the spoon and opens her mouth and stop when she seems interested in everything else and doesn't look at the spoon anymore. Sorry if this seems more like a rambling than a question...I just feel like since she's started solids I'm questioning myself a lot. I'll worry that she's not eating enough solids and never will and then after I feed her I worry that I'm feeding her too much and she's not getting enough of my milk

I put my actual question in bold

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: How many "meals" a day at 6.5MO?

Sounds fine.

You're not feeding that much in quantity.

thanks... Is there a general guidline for how much they should eat at certain ages? I know that my milk is the most important thing nutritionally 'till 12 months, but I don't want to underfeed her nor do I want to start weaning her by accident kwim?

whats her growth like?
    Breastmilk has more callories and good fats then most "baby foods"
    And what are her poops like? any trouble pooping?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp

dr sears has some great info on his web site.

My LO had his 6 mo checkup this morning and I had a LIST of questions for him about starting solids. He told me that solids/cereal should not take up more than 1/2 of his diet, to let him eat as much as he'll take in at a feeding and to offer maybe once or twice a day. He said medically/nutrionally, babies dont NEED solids and that breastmilk/formula is really all they need. So what I think I'm going to do is offer solids/cereal when we sit down for a meal and continue BF as we do right now.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Quote Originally Posted by spetty8903 View Post
    My LO had his 6 mo checkup this morning and I had a LIST of questions for him about starting solids. He told me that solids/cereal should not take up more than 1/2 of his diet, to let him eat as much as he'll take in at a feeding and to offer maybe once or twice a day. He said medically/nutrionally, babies dont NEED solids and that breastmilk/formula is really all they need. So what I think I'm going to do is offer solids/cereal when we sit down for a meal and continue BF as we do right now.
    Your approach is pretty much what I do and what feels right if that makes sense. Whenever we eat she seems to really be jealous now especially after starting solids and so I don't want to limit her to just one meal a day especially since she doesn't eat a whole lot at once. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    I love that site and it also suggests a three meal approach which confused me a little because another site just has one meal for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    whats her growth like?
    Breastmilk has more callories and good fats then most "baby foods"
    And what are her poops like? any trouble pooping?
    Her growth is fine. She's stayed at the 50th percentile pretty much since the beginning. Her poops are now more mushy and greener (I figure from the veggies). She probably goes about every 3 or 4 days now, but never seems uncomfortable or anything.

Thanks for all of your input. I think I'm feeling better about it.

I'm having the same problem with worrying about how much and how often with solids. My LO is 6.5 mths as well. We have been doing solids since about 5 months. Right now our schedule is:

4am 5 oz EBM

8am 5 oz EBM 1/2 cup rice cereal about 1/4 cup fruit

11am 5 oz EBM

2pm 5 oz EBM

5:30 pm 5 oz EBM

7pm 1/4 cup veggies or "dinner" 1/2 cup rice cereal 1/4 cup fruit

11:30pm 3 oz EBM

That is USUALLY how our day goes. Her weight has been great. The Doctor just says "let her lead you" but if i let her lead me, we would be having a WHOLE little jar of fruits at breakfast and adding a WHOLE little jar of veggies at lunch. We go on Monday for her well baby visit, and I was going to ask them about how much solids she is eating, but we see a different Dr each time and they all say different thing! I'm so confused!!

She is not increasing how much EBM she is taking in. Should she be drinking more then what she is??? She just started crawling, so I know she SHOULD be hungrier, but is she eating more "empty solids" to compensate???

Any advice is helpful.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)