Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to breastfeed again...please help.

Default I want to breastfeed again...please help.

My son is 12 days old. I breastfed him for the first 5 days and then started formula because I panicked. He wasn't having dirty diapers and my nipples were cracked, sore, and bleeding.

I'd like to start out comfort nursing him and pumping and then hopefully get to the point where he no longer needs formula. Is this possible? Is there anything I should try other than just nursing him?

Default Re: I want to breastfeed again...please help.

You could go ahead and try putting him to the breast now. If he will take right to it, that is great! You've only stopped for a few days, so the time you have to supplement may be very short.

Do you want to supplement with a bottle, or were you considering alternative methods? Have you considered seeing an IBCLC or your local LLL Leader for help/support?

What other information, in particular, do you need?

Glad to help however we can!

Thanks. I actually nursed my son last night in between bottles. I'm not sure if he got anything - I can still manually express some milk. I'm just so shocked that he remembered how to latch and actually did it right without any prompting from me! He doesn't seem to have any nipple confusion either.

I'm just ecstatic that this seems to be working at all...even if his primary nutrition is from formula.

I guess the information I need is how to eventually get to the point where he no longer needs formula. If I just nurse him and pump a lot, will the milk come back?

I saw a LC in the hospital and I have her number. I guess I could call and see if she has any information about nursing again.

Thanks.

I would do what you are and keep giving him your breast. I would offer him the breast as much as he will take it and give him the formula when he needs it.
    since it hasn't been long for you it could (should) not take much time at all. i heard that *typically* it takes as much time as you have stopped feeding, to get back to feeding again. so say you quit for 1 week, hopefully it will only take 1 week for your supply to be sufficiant again.

I'm not sure what advice everyone else has, and I am not a LLL lady just here because I am relactating now as well. and the constant latching on from my son is what is really boosting my supply.
    even if he is only comfort nursing for you , eventually it leads to more!

goodluck!

you can always call your local lll leader for help to they are free...
    I know a mom who was able to get her baby back to her breast after about 6 weeks of bottles.
    Just count diapars and try and take the baby to bed. Do nothing but nurse and in a few days you should be bottle free.
    good luck!

You can definitely do this! I have been pumping only about three times a day for the last two months, since my daughter was about a week old, and supplementing with formula. Two days ago, I decided to try to get her to nurse again, and she's back at it like she never left, even after all those bottles and pacifiers. Good luck!