Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cries at the end of most feedings - help

Default cries at the end of most feedings - help

DS is almost 5 months old and exclusively breastfed from birth. For the last couple of months he has consistently ended most of his daytime feedings with fussing, crying, or screaming. He will suck fine for 5 min and then just start crying out of the blue. If I stop trying to feed him he quiets down very quickly. He is gaining weight just fine. He has no other real symptoms of reflux. He sleeps pretty well at night and when he wakes up to feed he doesn't even cry - just starts moving around in the crib and I hear him and then go feed him. He never cries during the nighttime feedings or when I feed him laying down for his first morning feed.

It's almost like he doesn't realize that he can just come off and stop sucking, rather than start crying to end the feeding. He goes 3-4 hrs between feeds so I don't think it's a low milk supply issue.

This is really starting to worry me!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: cries at the end of most feedings - help

My son (now 7 months old) started the same pattern around four months of age. I wish I had great advice but I don't. Sometimes he does better nursing in the side-lying position. You might want to try different positions to see if that helps.
    Other than that, I finally decided that as long as his diapers were okay and he was gaining weight that I wasn't ging to worry about it. Although, it can make nursing in public a little difficult!
    I did also take him to the doctor when it first started to make sure he didn't have an ear infection, which he didn't.
    Good luck!

hmm maybe he needs to burp? sometimes my LO does that and if I burp him he's fine.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

My 3 month old has been doing the same thing. She starts nursing fine but then towards the end (or after a few minutes), she starts to skwirm around a lot, start to cry and even sound like she's grunting. The first few times I thought she was tired. Then, I thought maybe she's trying to poop. Then, I thought maybe I am not producing enough milk. I've even started to question what I'm eating. I thought I had it figured out. I started to just nurse her on one side, alternating with each feeding. But, then, after a day or two, I could see she was still hungry and started offering both breasts again. So, that wasn't it, either. Like the previous posting, it doesn't happen every time. I AM SO CONFUSED as to what to do. I feel bad that she gets this upset at a time that should be calming and relaxing to her. She's my third child and I had none of these issues with the first two. Any other suggstions?

Well my TWO month old has been doing this for a week now. He is a very efficient nurser, always has been, short feeds about ten min long since age 1 week. I think since his diaper seems fine and he is still gaining, he is just done eating and when I try to press the issue he gets PISSED with me lol. Sort of a MOOOOOOOM get that thing AWAY I AM DONE!! lol. Hes managing to empty a boob in about seven minutes now. Man, when hes like seven months old we could be down to three minutes or so! lol.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!

Could be he's just done...they do often get so efficient that they're done quickly like that. Mine also started doing that when he started teething. Also, I think if they're coming up on some milestones it can happen.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

My 4 1/2 month old does this sometimes too, he's been doing it occasionally for about 2 months now, some weeks it happens a lot - I've always had a milk supply that's right on the edge so I thought it might bethat he wasn't getting as much as he wanted. He is also at day care during the week getting bottles (of BM of course) and sometimes I think he is just lazy and frustrated that he has to work a little harder to get it out of me. Other times it seems like he just has to burp or these days he just gets so easily distracted. Like the first post, he never acts that way during the night feedings (thank god!). I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem - sometimes it is a bit hard emotionally when your baby doesn't want to nurse - isn't that the one thing that is suposed to make them happy no matter what!