Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: age to start solids...advice please

Default age to start solids...advice please

I had been planning to introduce solids to my LO when she is 6 mo old, but lately I've had dozens of people tell me that I should start now (4 1/2 mo old). My pediatrician said that there is a window between 4-6 mos when they are receptive to solids, and after 6 mos she wont want to try them again until she over a year old. And some friends told me that since she is "tracking" food from plate to mouth, that means she is ready now. Any adivce about starting now or in another 4-6 weeks?

Default Re: age to start solids...advice please

i could use the same help. i've read that it's best to wait until 6 months and not do it before. but alot of people keep saying we should start now. my lo is 18 1/2 weeks old. he goes to the ped tomorrow for his well baby visit. i have no idea if he's going to suggest solids or not, but could use some help in this area as well.

our Peds said that the "old school" way of things is to start cereal at 4 months but over the years they have learned that not all babies are ready that young due to their systems not being ready to them just not being ready as in not knowing what to do. She said we could start anywhere between 5- 6 months. We have a check up today (he's 5months today), so I'm going to tell her we want to start today with cereal. Jake has also been "tracking" food from the plate to our mouths and is soooooooooooooo intrested in it. That's one of many signs that they are ready, others are they can stick their toung out and move it around, hold their head up and sit up pretty well (with support or own their own) and I forgot the other things. My DS is doing all of these things.

Last edited by JakestersMommy; April 15th, 2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: added his current age.

Jake: Born 11/15/07
    6lbs 5oz ~ 19inch and 3/4's long

kelly moms has some good info on reasons to delay!
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

Lots of "baby foods" have less calories then breastmilk
    so if you have a slow to grow baby adding the solids can cause thier growth to slow even more.

heres the list of links form LLL
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:

he is about four months old
    he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!

You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:

he is about six months old
    he can sit up without any support
    he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

Thank you for the great links! I was particularly interested that they found NO research that shows a "window of opportunity" for starting solid foods between 4-6 mo, but lots of research for health benefits in exclusively breastfeeding until 6 months...if anyone has seen research that does show a special 4-6 month window, I'd love to know about it. I plan to ask my pediatrician why he thinks there is one. Thank you all for the help...

There is no "window" between 4 and 6 months. If there was, there would be MILLIONS of babies refusing solids and I think we would have heard about that.

Some babies are ready for solids before 6 months, and some after. No matter the age, the important thing is to assess baby's readiness for solids. Here are the recognized signs of solids readiness:
    *Sits up w/out support
    *lost tongue thrust reflex (cause babies to push objects out of their mouth with their tongue)
    *is devoloping pincer grasp (able to pick up tiny objects between thumb and forefinger)
    *continues to be hungry despite increased nursing (unrelated to illness or teething)

Some false signs are:
    *growth spurt, temporary increased nursing demand
    *seems to "ask" for food at the table by grabbing for spoons and cups (in this case, baby might be content to sit at the table with everyone else with his own bowl and spoon).

Here is a portion of the information available in the AAP's policy on breastfeeding and the use of human milk:
    Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186–187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.148,188–192 Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding.

Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.193

Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496

Lots of babies DO refuse solids until an age range up to one year or later...and that's fine! They are indicating an instinct to do what is best for their bodies/development and I think as parents we should be willing to respect that.

I remember hearing about that "window" from a crunchy mom I respected. She actually had thought that a LO could become more prone to allergies if you waited too long, and said she had found research that backed it up. But I did my own research, asking others including a lactation nurse, and found that this was inaccurate.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My pediatrician says that solid foods between 4-6 months are to teach the child how to eat off a spoon and after 6 months, the amount adds to their food intake of the day... meaning that they are only supposed to get a few spoonfuls of food to acclimate their mouth to eating off the spoon and getting used to the taste of different foods. After 6 months they are ready for "meals" He also says that the food should suppliment the amount of breastmilk, not replace the amount of breastmilk. BF first, then try food about 1/2 hour after the end of a feeding.
    Hope that helps! Sorry I don't have any factual links, but we used this theory with our older daughter and it was great advice!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008