Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's the scoop on 2nd foods???

Default What's the scoop on 2nd foods???

So we took DD to meet her new ped today and all went well. She mentioned that we can start second foods when we're/she's ready. I went to the store tonight and picked up a few things for her to try. After I got home, DH and I were reading the labels on the jars and many of these have eggs (in one form or another) in them and some even have dairy. I thought that these were two things babies weren't supposed to have until they were a year old. Is it safe for DD to try these things or should I hold off completely? Just a little confused.

TIA!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: What's the scoop on 2nd foods???

Eggs whites are a definate no-no until 12 mo. Egg yolks can be ok before then, but they are still an allergy risk.

Yogurt and cheese are generally ok from 9 mo as long as there isn't an allergy, but cow's milk and cream and the like should definately wait until at least 12 mo.

I honestly don't know why they put that stuff in babyfoods! Ds ate a lot of the "stage 1" foods, but we really didn't bother much with the 2s, since they all seemed to have bad ingredients. We just gave him a lot of table foods, finger foods, etc. We were always careful to read lables on processed, packaged foods (including "baby" foods).

I don't get it either! It makes no sense to me to put those things in the baby foods if they can't have them! I'm glad I thought to read the lables though! I just wish I hadn't bought so much stuff!! DD likes the 1st foods really well, maybe I'll just use the turkey and simple things like that of the 2nd foods for her to experiment with. Guess I've got to throw out a lot of baby food!!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

They will use anything that can make their production cheaper but still legal to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber
    I don't get it either! It makes no sense to me to put those things in the baby foods if they can't have them! I'm glad I thought to read the lables though! I just wish I hadn't bought so much stuff!! DD likes the 1st foods really well, maybe I'll just use the turkey and simple things like that of the 2nd foods for her to experiment with. Guess I've got to throw out a lot of baby food!!
    Where do you grocery shop? You didn't open it. You have a reciept. Take it back!!! You could buy her some stuff you feel like "processing" yourself or...don't throw away your money!! Take it back and exchange it for food you can use!

From what I know, second foods are just thicker and they often are combinations of two foods. You can easily make your own and combine whatever your baby likes, and make it a suitable consistency for you. I would return them too.