Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: National Law for pumping at work?

Default National Law for pumping at work?

Does anyone know if there is a national law protecting nursing mothers who have to pump at work?

I have this woman (yes a woman) at work who apparently has it out for me, Because I am special and get my own special place to do my "mommy business" and she has to do her ridiculous exercises in the break room and she doesn't get a special place to do her business (she says they are medically necessary I say its BS. Crunches and wrist rotations don't do anything for thrombosis in your legs! HELLO THEY HAVE SPECIAL MEDICAL SOCKS FOR THAT! And on top of that she apparently has stomach issues, I don't know one person who would do crunches with the pain in her stomach that she claims she has! )

So now that she is being so childish she has gone to my supervisor and has said that it isn't fair that I get to do my "mommy business" and also get my 2 15 minute breaks on top of it . NO ONE else in the office cares, my boss doesn't care, event he District Regional Operations manager (based out of my office) doesn't care. But because this perticular person is nothing but a miserable old grouch who has to get her way or else I am now being told that I may have to limit my sessions to just my breaks.

Ok you know what thats fair. I get that but.............. the ONLY reason why she is doing this is because she doesn't get to do her excersises in private like I get to do my thing in private!!! GIVE ME A BREAK.I could go on and on about all the other stuff but this one is just chapping my hyde.

Is there a national law protecting nursing mothers at work to pump. I need this information asap. Please someone help me just so I can go HA! TRY THIS ONE ON FOR SIZE!

Thanks

Default Re: National Law for pumping at work?

Not that I know of. My state doesn't even say one way or another on pumping at work.

I offered to pump at my desk but my boss decided I needed a private place.

Depends on your state.

You can look it up here

http://llli.org/Law/LawUS.html?m=0,1,0

Good luck!

You can check out this link too:
    http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/report_card3.htm

These may not be updated with the most current legislation. I know my state recently passed legislation on this topic. I don't believe there is a national law yet but I believe there is a bill stalled in Congress on this topic (or there was a bill at one time). If you work for the government there may be a law in place for government employees.

Some states have a breastfeeding coalition which you could contact for info on your state.

I think she is being ridiculous. Having a private place to exercise is totally different from having a private place to express milk.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

If your employer decides to side with that crotchity ole nagg ........ Maybe fight fire with fire. If I were you, and I had some nasty ole thing doing that to me.... I would figure out just when she needed to do her most necessary body mechanics session.... and I would JOIN her. I would walk right in there while she is "doin her thing" and set up shop, not say a word, and pump away. The VERY MINUTE she thinks she needs to say something.... and I am sure she will, just say _____________ (well, I am sure I would say something to get myself in trouble... but fill in your own blank

(hind thought... and why can she not do her excercises in the morning before work or after like the rest of us?")

sorry, I can be facetious like that.
    Last edited by Mama2theBooBoo; April 15th, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

As far as the question concerning why she can't do her excersises before or after work. Hmmmm...... good question I will check on that. I think she has paperwork stating that they need to be done x amount of times per day for x amount of time. I dunno. She is just being grouchy .

I have already spoken to my manager today and they have agreed to continue to accomodate me however I must clock out for the session and then I can make up the time at the end of the day. This is the only way to keep her at bay and satisfy everyone involved. I still get my special place and was told that they don't care (meaning HR corporate level) how long it takes. I could take 2 hours if I wanted to and sit in that room and pump. . Maybe I will and bring my laptop and catch up on some good movies.

My state will have a law to protect nursing mothers at work in August. Bill has passed but won't go into effect until then.

Thanks anyways.

Have you made them aware of the law now. Our law does not go into effect until July but we have made our HR aware and pushed about the law and they are starting to take steps now. If there will be a law effective in August, I think this would be enough to tell the woman "hey, we have to be proactive and start following this law which goes into effect in August".
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I agree you should start asking for accomodation to comply with the law now. Sometimes it takes a while for things like that to get moving.

BTW, federal government facilities do not necessarily supply pumping rooms or times to pump....
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

*UPDATE* Our HR rep came in and had a good talking to her & me. And my HR rep pulled me in and told me that this was a NON issue within the company. That there was nothing that I needed to worry about. I was told that I basically needed to do it off the clock. And it was fine if it took me 2 hours to do . I can also make up the time at the end of the day without taking away from my 40 hours/week. I don't know what was told to the other party involved. But I have the full support of the company.
    So I feel better. But I sure wish that they would do something about the problem.

I sure hope that a national law does end up getting passed to protect us so we don't have to worry about getting singled out like this.

Is there a petition that we can sign. Who do we call?

This woman is quite ridiculous. This the 2nd baby that I have pumped with. When I returned back to work from my maternity leave, I e-mailed by boss requesting 2 Xtra 10-15 min sessions aside from my lunch break. I emphasized that I needed these in order to provide enough milk for my infant daughter. Less sick baby = less missed days at work. I even have provided flexibility around my normal xtra sessions of 9:30 & 3p. If there are a ton of staff/patient family using the PC's in my office around my sessions. I use a wisdom call...I wait until at least 2 leave, so there's coverage. I don't want it to be thought of a hassel, nor do I want to abuse it. When I need coverage to pump and there's only 2 (me and my coworker, a male). I'll simply say 'I'm going in' and he knows what that means. There is a girl who's got a baby who never BF and wants to know how to pump effectively (it took her 30 min to get 2oz with PIS--yikes!) She'll be joining me at our lunch break + I am an active advocate and submitted a proposal to get the lactation room we have at this hospital w/ medela & ameda hospital grade pumps...needless to say people kind of leave me alone on this issue