Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often does your baby nurse

Default How often does your baby nurse

Just over the past weekend my DD, who is 14 months old, has cut down major on her number of times she nurses. Yesterday she only nursed 3-4 times no matter how much I offered, I ended up pumping because I know that going to long is BAD for the supply. I am worried that she is getting ready to wean. Even offering it to her in her sleep didn't seem to help much, I did get her to take one bobbie early this morning. So how often does your little one nurse, and how old are they? Tell me this is a fluke, and she will be right back to the boobie soon. On an average day she will have mommy milk about 6 times in a 24 hour period, that includes me pumping 2X during the day at work, and nursing 1-2 times during the night.

Thanks for you help!

Default Re: How often does your baby nurse

I wouldn't worry too much. It's pretty normal for an older baby to nurse a lot, cut back a lot only to start nursing a lot again. They seem to go in cycles.

My nursling is 22 months old and some days she hardly nurses at all and other days she seems to want to nurse non-stop. I just go with it and I do not pump at all.

No matter how old your nursling is, it's still all about supply and demand. If baby's demand decreases, your supply will as well. But as soon as baby's demand increases, your supply will respond.

I wouldn't worry about her weaning just yet - most babies won't self-wean without some sort of outside influence until they're at least 2 years old. You may want to look at anything that could be affecting her nursing patterns such as illness or teething or other environmental factors.

You're doing good -- keep it up!

Default Re: How often does your baby nurse

Thanks for the incouraging words. And about the illness thing. Well you hit the nail on the head, I should have known. She has been barking like a seal with a horrible cough since last night. This is very scary for me, 11 months ago she spent 2 weeks in the hospital with RSV so I get very worried with these coughs. She gets them so much, she just got over one that she had for 5 weeks. So she was just feeling yucky, now I'll keep an eye on her.

Thank you again for helping me fell better about myself!