Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new pain

Default new pain

my son is 4 weeks old today. hes doing AWESOME at breastfeeding. im SO proud of him. only had about 3 or 4 bottles of breastmilk. but heres my question. when im about to have a letdown my breasts have a dull sorta pain on the sides. is this normal? why is it painful? it just started happening within the last few days. i thought maybe it would go away but it hasnt. im also having pain in my nipples. hes latching on like he always have and never hurt before.

Default Re: new pain

Is the breast pain only during let-down? Can you describe the pain in your nipples? When does it occur--at latch on, during the feeding, after, or between feedings? Dull or sharp? Is there any visible change in your nipple? Cracks? Discoloration?

yeah its right before letdown and during. the pain in nipples feels like a bruise being pressed. if that makes sence. there is no cracks or discolouration. and that happens when he latches on

In another thread, you mentioned that you're worried that you may have oversupply or OALD. Is that correct? If so, the pain you're feeling during let-down could be from OALD.

Pain during the beginning of the feed is usually due to shallow latch. Do you find that your baby latches on near the nipple? Or maybe he clamps down?

no he doesnt seem to have a shallow latch. i put my finger where his mouth was. he may be clamping on. i did find a bruise today on my breast so im pretty sure thats what it is