Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am cycling again...is my milk going to stop?

Default I am cycling again...is my milk going to stop?

Hello

My son is 10 months old tomorrow!
    I was so surprised to get my periods yesterday...I thought that as long as you nurse, you don't cycle. I guess not!
    But now I am worried that my milk suplly is going to stop
    Plus now I am cycling again, should I go back on the pill? it is safe for my little one?
    Please let me know.
    Thank you so much.
    Celine

Default Re: I am cycling again...is my milk going to stop?

Hey there..
    No worries about cycling again.. I started again when my LO was 3months. She is now 6 months. My supply is fine. You will find that up to a week before your cycle starts, your supply may decrease slightly and again during the week of your cycle. It will even out and things will go back to normal a few days into your cycle. At least it did for me and this was advice that I was given when I got stressed about it.

I'ts not safe to take regular birth control while your BF.. talk to your doctor..theres one that is, if you have concerns. It really hasn't mattered that you were not cycling by the way.. you could of still got pregnant.. I hope you knew this??

Anyways, I feel for you... I was one of the un lucky ones too.. DONT Stress though.. its all good! for you! welcome back to reality

Thank you so much for your reply :-)

As for birth control... ask about the "mini" or "pop" pill... It's progesterone only birth control pills and it's okay with bf. I started it after my 6 week postpartum appointment and didn't even notice a decrease in milk supply... although I heard that it could dip a little when you first start, your supply should come right back.
    Good Luck!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

I heard about the mini pill, but I am so worried that the progesterone is going to affect my baby, I know that it is going through the breastmilk, so I am not quite sure it is good for my baby boy
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply :-)

I was also prescribed the "mini-pill" at my 6-week post partum checkup. The pill my OB prescribed is Micronor, and it's safe for BF moms & their babes. And the pp is correct, even though you weren't "cycling" previously, you could have still been ovulating and could have got pregnant, if you weren't taking precautions to prevent pregnancy.

Also, I was one of the unlucky ones who got my cycle back right away... also at around 6 weeks post partum. My supply dips every time I cycle, but it always comes back to normal. I think I wouldn't even notice the dip if I wasn't pumping for LO while I'm at work... My DD (who is now ~6.5 months) doesn't seem to notice the lower supply while nursing, but I certainly notice it as I can't get as much when I pump. Mine always seems to come right back, though... just nurse your LO as much as you can, and you should be fine.

HTH,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I dont use the pill, just condoms. I was afraid that the pill may affect my supply more.

Thank you so much for all your replies
    it is very nice to see your support.
    We have been using condoms when we get time to get together, if you see what I mean
    Anyway, I had 2 ovarian cystes (with surgeries both time) before my LO and was on the pill to prevent them from coming back. I was so hapy to get pregnant wihtout getting another cyste.
    Anyway, now I am cycling again , I need to think about my health as well.
    People say that having a baby change your body, and I should not have ovarian cystes anymore.
    What should I do? believe them and not take the pill and use condoms
    or take the pill to prevent the cystes and the surgery?

If I were you, I'd talk to my OB about it... he/she could tell you with more authority what are your chances of having more cysts now that you've had a child. Personally, if it were me, I would probably just go on the pill (as long as it's safe for BF) to reduce the chances of getting another cyst, and the resulting surgery to fix it... But, that's just my preference... Plus, although effective, I find condoms to be thoroughly annoying and a mood spoiler, but they are certainly an option to prevent pregnancy without having to take a pill...

To be quite honest, my DH and I are using condoms... When I first went back to work and started pumping, my supply really dropped (or so I thought.) I thought it was because I was on Micronor, but thinking back I'm pretty sure it was because AF was visiting. Back then, I quit taking the Micronor, but I'm actually thinking of starting it up again...
    HTH
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thank you so much Buff.
    I did talk to me OB(s), one gave me a pill that is not for BF, and the other one is ready to send me to get an ultrasound every months...
    my husband still think that I am going to be fine
    But I can't help it, I am scared.
    Thanks again for your help
    Celine