Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only feeding from one side

Default only feeding from one side

My lo for the last 4 days refuses to feed from my left breast, she will drink it if i hand express it into a cup for her but wont latch onto the breast, she is 14 weeks and she has 3 teeth comming in one on the bottom left one on the bottom right and one on the top right i was maybe thinking her bottom left tooth was bugging her since its red and swollen and maybe its hurting her to latch on. Has anyone else had this problem??

im also trying to pump the breast she wont drink from so it keeps producing but im lucky if i get a tablespoon of milk and im still trying to get this hand expression down so i can keep getiing milk out of it, how can i keep it making milk?
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

Default Re: only feeding from one side

First, rest assured that your baby will get enough milk for her needs from one breast. There are a fair number of moms who only nurse on one breast- I even read about someone who had lost one breast to cancer and managed to nurse twins!

If you want to keep production going in the unused breast, you might want to invest in an electric pump, or perhaps rent one. Pumps are usually more efficient than hand-expression. If you don't want to pump or the money to buy/rent one is not in your budget, you might want to try hand-expressing in the shower. I've heard that can help get the milk flowing.

You might also want to take your baby in to see the pediatrician. She's probably rejecting the left side because of her teeth, but it wouldn't hurt to get her checked out for an ear infection. A hurting ear can make a baby reject lying on one side. You could also try some creative positioning. She might be passing up the left side because she doesn't like being held with her right side facing down. You could try moving her to the left side while keeping her in the same position she's in when she's feeding from the right breast. That way she'll be tricked into thinking "Hey, I'm in my favorite nursing position, so this must be my favorite breast coming my way!"

Default Re: only feeding from one side

Thank you for replying.

I do have an electric pump and a hand pump neither which are good at drawing milk out, in fact i dropped pumps completely when my daughter was about 4 or 5 weeks old the pumps were doing more damage than they were helping i brought them back out 2 days ago and neither helps, as for hand expressing i do it when im having a let down so that im not damaging my breasts.

Ive tried the different positionings as well even "invented" a few and she refuses.

Im going to take her to the health center tommorow to ensure nothing is wrong with her, thank you i never thought of an ear infection, but im figuring its prolly the teeth 3 comming in at once at 3 months old cant be easy for her.

Ive just run out of ideas to get her to eat from that breast and i guess if other people have done it and she has been eating just fine off it for the last 4 days then i can give it a go on the one side, how do you stop lopsidedness
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me