Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions!!

Question Questions!!

Hey girls--I have lots of questions, and of course, our LLL meeting isn't until the 2nd Thursday in August.

1--Ada Grace does NOT like to burp--but when she doesn't, especially at night, she will projectile vomit! I have changed the bed 3x in the middle of the night now--and am rapidly running out of sheets and confidence. Could this be reflux? Am I maybe eating something that she is sensitive to?

2--pumping--when do I start? how often should I pump? what effect will it have on my supply?? I have to go back to work in 8 weeks and am in NO WAY looking forward to it. Ada Grace has put herself on a schedule where she eats every 2-3 hours during the day, then takes a long nap in the afternoon, cluster feeds at night and then stops at 11, sleeps until about 4 OR 5, then wakes up to eat for about an hour, then back to sleep until about 9:30 or 10. This schedule will give me next to no opportunity to BF her once I return to work and I'm dreading that possibility.

3--engorgement--I have it, but only when I wake up in the morning, because she is sleeping for so long at night.

4--Is it normal for the baby to poop with every nursing session??

5--supply--is it normal for one side to produce a lot more than the other?? My left will leak to the point that my entire shirt is soaked on the left side, and I am only losing a few drops on the right. Also--the 2x I've pumped, my left gives me 2 oz, the right not even one. Is this normal??

Sorry for so many questions--but I wasn't successful w/my son, and I really want to be this time with Ada Grace. I appreciate all of your help and feedback!! I was feeling really confident when we were going to the doctor every 3 days--we go back tomorrow so I'll get to see how much she weighs again, but my confidence is wavering!!

Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed (6-19-04) and Ada Grace (7-7-06)

Default Re: Questions!!

Hi!

First, congratulations on the new baby! I can answer a few questions or at least share personal experience, keep in mind I'm no expert but have at least had/done/experienced some of the things you have questions about.

Reflux - no experience, but lot's of people here do so you will for sure get help w/ that soon.

Pumping - I couldn't pump a thing until dd was almost 6 weeks old. I think I was probably still establishing supply and she was eating a LOT and frequently. Also, I was watching the output and freaking out b/c nothing was happening so part of that was nerves/stress. I pumped after every feed to get supply up. She may still change her schedule so you will be able to nurse once you go back to work. My dd is 5 months old and really still changes a lot week to week even day to day sometimes.

Engorgement - I still have it and only first thing in the morning. I'm pretty sure Ada Grace (lovely name btw) is still pretty new, but maybe your body has regulated already.

My dd pooped everytime she ate for the entire first month and then some

Supply - My left side produces way more than my right, especially first thing in the a.m. I pump 5-6 oz from that side every morning - I can get maybe 1-2 from the right.

Like I said, no expert here but maybe I've been a little help. I think it's great you're trying to nurse again, keep it up!!!

1. some babies have to be upright after feeds. One of mine slept in a car seat untill he was too big for it. The angle helped him sleep.
    2.pumping depends on lots of factors.. what your hours will be like, how long will you be gone, will you be able to take a break during working hours and feed the baby. that schudle will most likely change when you go back to work some babies will sleep all day and then nurse alot at night, thats called reverse cycleing. Doesn't bother day care provider and if you know it might happen that might help. If you can tell us more about your hours and schudle we could help out more.

3..that might be a good time to pump before the baby gets up, many moms have lots of milk in the morning.

4. poops... its normal for the baby to go alot, some start to go less about 6 weeks.. then they might not poop for many days (but watch out when they do go lol) you'll find out later

5.. normal to have unven amounts of milk, and that can change with each feed. The baby is beter at getting milk out then the pump.

how are the babies wet and poopy diapars? Thats more important then weight gain. Don't let the doctor scare you into bottles of formula..
    if she is haveing low weight gain the best thing for you and baby is to take the baby to bed and just rest and nurse. Sleep when the baby is sleeping and let hubby or others take care of the house and bringing you healthy foods to eat.

oh and don't be afraid to call your local leader, they are there to help!

Everything here sounds normal, or at least not like anything to be alarmed about.

1. You'll get the hang of burping her, and she'll learn how to cooperate with that a little more. One end or the other, small babies do tend to make ginormous messes. It's not a sign of a problem, especially since she is sleeping so well and nursing so consistently. If someone asks if they can do anything to help with the baby, just ask them to wash all those dirty sheets for you -- problem solved, at least for now!

2. Ada Grace isn't even 2 weeks old yet! Don't worry about pumping just yet. Give your body time to adjust to lactating and to get in sync with her appetite, get her through the 3-week growth spurt, and then we can talk about maybe pumping once a day to build up just a bit of a freezer stash. You do NOT need to have weeks and weeks' worth stored up by the time your maternity leave ends. When you go back to work, what you pump at work is more or less what she will eat the next day. If you start pumping too early or too often before your maternity leave ends, you may wind up with a bad case of oversupply, foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and all the ills and annoyances that go along with that.

As for her current nursing schedule and what that will mean when you are back to work -- don't even worry about it yet. She's not even 2 weeks old! She is going to change SO much by the time she is 8 weeks old. The minute you get everything figured out with her current patterns, they are guaranteed to change.

3. The above paragraph pretty much applies to your morning engorgement as well. She may not continue sleeping so long at night, so don't plan your life around it just yet! And if she does continue it, then your body will adjust before long and the morning engorgement will gradually decrease. Don't pump it off, thinking to start your freezer stash, or the engorgement will just get worse. If you're very uncomfortable and she won't wake to nurse, then you could try pumping just to trigger a letdown, get maybe half an ounce or so out, just until you feel more comfortable -- but don't pump a full 15 minutes and drain the breasts completely.

4. Yes, it's normal for a newborn to pump every time she eats. It's a reflex, actually -- gut motility is linked to swallowing, so this pooping pattern is a sign that she's got a really good suck/swallow rhythm going. Holistic nutrition folks say that even adults should have a bowel movement after every meal, actually.

5. It's totally normal for your supply and leakage to be lopsided. It's not a sign of a problem and is not something that needs to be fixed. Just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama
    I was feeling really confident when we were going to the doctor every 3 days--we go back tomorrow so I'll get to see how much she weighs again, but my confidence is wavering!!
    Krista, I can understand your fears since breastfeeding was such a nightmare experience for you last time around. But it sounds to me like you and little Ada Grace are off to a wonderful start. Try to believe in your body and your mothering instincts, and your baby will give you even better feedback than the doctor's scales ever can.

Don't hesitate to post with questions, concerns, updates, or those great little stories about the newborn days that will make the rest of us all misty-eyed! We are here for you (and to live vicariously through you, LOL.) Keep up the great work!

--Rebecca

Hey girls--I have lots of questions, and of course, our LLL meeting isn't until the 2nd Thursday in August.

1--Ada Grace does NOT like to burp--but when she doesn't, especially at night, she will projectile vomit! I have changed the bed 3x in the middle of the night now--and am rapidly running out of sheets and confidence. Could this be reflux? Am I maybe eating something that she is sensitive to?
    No experience here. DD (6) hardly ever burped but didn't spit up that much either. DS (2 weeks) hardly ever burps or spits up but has had projectile one time and I think that's because he ate too fst.

2--pumping--when do I start? how often should I pump? what effect will it have on my supply?? I have to go back to work in 8 weeks and am in NO WAY looking forward to it. Ada Grace has put herself on a schedule where she eats every 2-3 hours during the day, then takes a long nap in the afternoon, cluster feeds at night and then stops at 11, sleeps until about 4 OR 5, then wakes up to eat for about an hour, then back to sleep until about 9:30 or 10. This schedule will give me next to no opportunity to BF her once I return to work and I'm dreading that possibility.
    I pumped with my first when I became engorged to help her eat better - pumping gets the milk flowing before you feed so it's easier for the baby to eat.

By the time I went back to work with my first, she was on a good schedule so I pumped at work while my Mom was feeding her at home.

3--engorgement--I have it, but only when I wake up in the morning, because she is sleeping for so long at night.
    See above answer.

4--Is it normal for the baby to poop with every nursing session??
    I don't remember DD doing this, but DS sure does! He poops EVERY time I feed him and in between. *sigh* We have already went through 100 diapers!!!!

5--supply--is it normal for one side to produce a lot more than the other?? My left will leak to the point that my entire shirt is soaked on the left side, and I am only losing a few drops on the right. Also--the 2x I've pumped, my left gives me 2 oz, the right not even one. Is this normal??
    I think one of mine was a bit behind with DD. I haven't really pumped that much with this baby yet.

What kind of pump are you using? IMO, the more expensive ones tend to pump more milk.

Two more things I thought about while reading the above responses, when you go to work, you can feed her in the morning before you leave and possibly go feed her on you lunch hour if you can work out that schedule.

And don't stress. Stress lowers your milk production. And the baby can sense your tenseness and not nurse well.

Thumbs up Re: Questions!!

Good news--I took Ada Grace to the doc today and she is up to 7 pounds 15 oz. Her bw was 7-14 and she has gained 5 oz this week. He said the spitting up is normal, as is the pooping--he said they are both messy, but normal.

Things seem to be going well--no more weight checks until 6 weeks from now, when we go back for the 2 month check up. I told the doc today that I intend to EBF for at least 1 year and he seemed impressed by that. I always thought I would wean when she was 1, but I feel like if she wants to continue to bf at bed and in the morning--who am I to deny her that??? It's amazing how differently a successful bf relationship can make you feel.

Thanks for all of your support, ladies!!

Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed (6-19-04) and Ada Grace (7-7-06)

Getting in on this late, but I wanted to offer my congrats for things going so well at the appointment. Good on you for hanging in there!

Good luck!

It's amazing how differently a successful bf relationship can make you feel.
    Oh, Krista, I'm just so delighted with how things have turned out. That feeling of success and joy and pride, that's the paycheck in a healthy nursing relationship. I am just so pleased that you and Ada Grace have reached that point already. WTG!! It is wonderful to see your earlier efforts (all the months of research and posting here, before she was born) paying off like this.

Keep up the good work!

--Rebecca