Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Began work 2 weeks ago- hates fake nipple

Question Began work 2 weeks ago- hates fake nipple

I'm at work, upset. Really shouldn't be blogging. However, my LO has been in the care of my mom for 2 weeks, going on three, as I returned to work. He is 12 weeks old this Wed. He has done pretty good going from breast to bottle, although mom says he doesn't love the artificial nip. However, today, I went home for lunch to feed him ( luckily am close enough), and she described what a terrible morning they had, that it took him one hour to latch onto the bottle,and she was frustrated, I became upset, and she told me to quit breastfeeding!!! The thought kills me. I've been pretty successful with pumping, he averages now 1 bottle of formula every few days.. but help!!! What is this? Growth spurt? Nipple confusion? He did great for 2 weeks, then bam, today somethings up.
    Any suggestion for really good artificial nipples? Been using playtex slowflow, may try nuk????
    So so sad at work, but love my job
    Thanks for any help.
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Default Re: Began work 2 weeks ago- hates fake nipple

Breast bottle or adiri bottles are worth a try. Have you tried avent bottles? No need to quit bfing over this. You will find a solution.

NAK

I'm sorry this has been so hard for you all.

It is possible to feed a baby expressed mother's milk without using a bottle at all. Your mother might try a cup or a spoon and let the baby lap at the milk. It may take some time to learn (and be prepared with a bib as it can be messy!), but it would ensure your baby is still getting the many benefits of your milk.

Most of this article is not relevant, but if you skip down to the "How to Supplement" subhead, you'll find more info about alternative feeding methods: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep99p75.html

Quote Originally Posted by newmamma08 View Post
    I'm at work, upset. Really shouldn't be blogging. However, my LO has been in the care of my mom for 2 weeks, going on three, as I returned to work. He is 12 weeks old this Wed. He has done pretty good going from breast to bottle, although mom says he doesn't love the artificial nip. However, today, I went home for lunch to feed him ( luckily am close enough), and she described what a terrible morning they had, that it took him one hour to latch onto the bottle,and she was frustrated, I became upset, and she told me to quit breastfeeding!!! The thought kills me. I've been pretty successful with pumping, he averages now 1 bottle of formula every few days.. but help!!! What is this? Growth spurt? Nipple confusion? He did great for 2 weeks, then bam, today somethings up.
    Any suggestion for really good artificial nipples? Been using playtex slowflow, may try nuk????
    So so sad at work, but love my job
    Thanks for any help.
    It's understandable that your mom would be frustrated but please don't quit bfing out of her frustration. LOs are ppl and are allowed to have 'off' days - more than we get. This is a entirely new experience for them, every day. Take a deep breath and realize that you and your mom are doing the best thing for him. You, by pumping while at work and she in caring for him while you provide for your family financially.

Try the avent slowflow (#1?) nipples/bottles if you haven't already. Remember this is a learning process and that it's ok to be frustrated. We are here to support you and let you know that you can do it.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    Try the avent slowflow (#1?) nipples/bottles if you haven't already.
    yep these work great for us... and every lo has an off day, it doesn't mean it will always be this bad.... my lo is almost 6 months and goes through something like this every few weeks totally random too!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

sorry to hijack but our DD refuses everything but the breast. i t has only been 3 days since mum went back to work............we have adiri bottles coming.........i really dont think this is going to make a difference. that lipase thing is really something. DD has drank from a bottle twice with me. once with mum. then we started giving her milk from the freezer................could not understand why she spit it out. been 3 years since DS drank from a bottle, so i kinda forgot what it tasted l;ike.......sure enough sour and rancid............now i guess she associates the bottle with foul tasting milk and absouletely will not come near it off a spoon in a cup in a dropper letting it drip out of the bottle whatever........9 hours is too long to go without feeding........anyone have any other tricks????????????????????? we are pretty disheartened to the point where mum is thinking of quitting her nurse job....... we really need our DD to drink from a bottle. i guess the bottle is ruined now after the last 3 days. we scalded some milk and we are giving her that or trying i should say, but she will have nothing to do with it.
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

I also JUST went through the same thing with DCP. It was tempting to quit bfing, but I just can't do it because the thought of giving formula feels seriously wrong. What helped me is to give LO lots of practice on bottle. I have too much milk though, so it was easy to pump extra and give feedings at home with bottle to get him used to it more. It took a week or two but he has it now. This may not be advisable for some if you have a milk supply issue, and it is also a complete pain in the neck to pump and feed so much...but for me it was the only way to keep bfing, and he finally has the hang of it. I thought of it like it was his homework, or he was learning a new skill and I just had to hang in there with him and keep working on it until he learned how. It is also possible that your LO misses you or that he has a tummy ache or the transisition is just hitting him or a million other things and that is why he is not latching on to the bottle...maybe he would not be nursing for you either. It is hard for DCP to be patient with a continually crying baby. I bet she will feel better after some time off. Hang in there, I shed many a tear over this exact issue!

My DD hated Avent and Playtex nipples, we finally had success with Breastflow by the First Years. At daycare she did only 1 oz. from bottles at first, now does 4-5 oz. They warm it and run warm water over the nipple to warm it all. They also turn lights off and hold her closer than usual. I understand where you are coming from. I was so worried about her for so long.