Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding from a bottle..

Default feeding from a bottle..

How can we get DS to take expressed milk from a bottle..he just refuses to and cries when we try...we have tried a few different teat types but nothing helps at all...
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Default Re: feeding from a bottle..

Have you tried leaving (the house even) and letting someone else give him the bottle? Your little one may be smart like that and not want to take it when he knows the real thing is around.

Here's some more (non LLL) info about bottle feeding the breast fed baby

You could try a bottle in a bouncy seat, having your DS facing out and walking around, trying a paci first and then see if he will go into taking the bottle.

How old is he? He might take a sippy cup or regular cup. Those are a little messy sometimes but if he needs to get some milk it can work.

ETA: I see he's still pretty little, they make little soft silicone cups - or even a dropper or spoon could work if he just won't take a bottle.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Try a dark room, holding him in the normal bfing position with the bottle under the caregivers armpit. Sounds crazy but it may work. Have you tried breastflow bottles or adiri nursers? Avent? Medela?

ive been getting hubby to try feed him with me out of the room...i use the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles with the anti colic closer to nature teats..ive tried the slow flow, fast flow and variable flow all without success....he has never had a dummy either..when we tried to give him on..he just pushes it around with his tongue and scrunched his face up then pushes it out..and he is doing it now with the bottle.......we have been trying for 3 days now at various points in the day....and he just doesnt seem to improve at all....but then when he has tried the bottle...and he has just become upset...i put him to the breast and he latches on like mad then feeds grunting away all happy again!

The problem is also, unless he is very tired...he will only feed with me lying down and him lying across my stomach...which is a nightmare as it is impossible to feed him out of the house....i feel so trapped.....and it is such a nightmare..as when he stops feeding and has had enough..he will just opem his mouth and unlatch..and half the time he has taken half a mouth full of milk before he deicded he is full...i feel like im constantly covered in breast milk and baby spit up!!
    Last edited by samj; April 14th, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

My daughter is also refusing the bottle. I understand completely how you feel... I love her and want her to have breast milk, but I am starting to feel like I will never be alone again! My husband tries to feed her with a bottle, but even if I leave the house she refuses. We've tried several bottle/nipple combos. The only one she ever took anything from was the Avent slow flow and she only had 1/2 oz in 6 hours! (She usually nurses every 2-3 hours for about 1/2 an hour- obviously much more than 1/2 oz!) I'm interested in any tips on getting her to drink from a bottle! I have a book club meeting in 3 weeks and I'd love to get out for an evening with adults, but I won't be able to go (with good conscious) if I can't be sure my daughter is okay!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

I've read somewhere to try to offer the bottle when LO isn't starving. Once some of their thirst is satisfied with breast, then I would try to offer a bottle. Sometimes, we have a little trouble too. I think with us its because we only give 1-2 bottles a week, so she doesn't get a lot of practice. HTH.

I had the very same problem with my LO. I tried three different bottles, two different flows, breastmilk, and even formula. He absolutely refused to take the bottle for me or my husband. I had to go back to work when he was 10 weeks and was really worried about leaving him. I sent everything with him to daycare and warned the provider that he would probably be very difficult, but the first day, he took the bottle for her just fine and has ever since. They are very smart!

Could you try feeding from a cup, dropper, spoon, or syringe? What about offering baby a breastmilk "slushie" (frozen ebm) from a spoon?

Here's some helpful info on alternative feeding methods:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

Some tips:
    *face baby out
    *offer the bottle in motion (walking, rocking, bouncing)
    *offer in a bouncy seat
    *distract baby with another person or the t.v.
    *if all else fails, try in the familiar nursing position
    *warm the bottle nipple
    *try warm milk
    *try cold milk
    *allow baby to draw the nipple into his mouth himself
    *if using a wide base nipple, assure he is latched on with lips flanged (as at the breast)

Here's some additional tips:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

I have this same exact problem...i've tried leaving the house, medela & avent bottles & I just bought the Adiri Natural Nurser Bottle, it looks like it could work, but i hope it does for the price i paid 14.99!!
    I havent tried it yet. does anyone have it or heard anything about this bottle?