Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will DS be upset when I go back to work?

Question Will DS be upset when I go back to work?

Should I expect my DS to be upset about me leaving him to go back to work PT? Will he ignore me when I return home the first few days/weeks? I just want to be prepared for his reaction.... He will be 4 mos old when I go back to work and will be staying home with dad; so at least he won't have to be in daycare.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Will DS be upset when I go back to work?

I know this is a very difficult decision for most mothers and I think it's great that dad will be home with baby during the day. It is hard to say just how your baby will react, but you would expect some adjustment time.

Here are some links from the LLL FAQ pages about working and breastfeeding and how to ease the transition a bit.

On how to make returning to work easier: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/returnwork.html

On pumping and working: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpfreq.html

First of all, I think it's wonderful that your DS will be home with Dad while you're at work. My DH took a 3 month paternity leave that began when I returned to work (DS was 15 wks old). It was an invaluable experience for us. My husband LOVED being home and having time to bond with the baby. It was also great because he realizes how hard it is to be a stay-at-home parent. We also realized that while he's a fantastic dad, he's a horrible "housewife"!

As for how your DS will react - I think all babies are different. My DS was always excited when I got home - which was really nice. However, my MIL told me how when she worked my husband was always excited when she got home but my brother-in-law would be upset and "mad" at her - he always got over it after just a few minutes though. So - I guess you'll just have to see what happens with your LO, but either way he'll love you just as much while your working as he does now. I have no doubt about that!

Good luck going back and good luck to Dad

In my experience it is harder on us moms to go back to work than on the kiddos! I went back about a month and a half ago and it was an adjustment. The first week or so I worried like crazy, but after she got used to her new environment she did great and I worried less. She is always very excited to see me when I arrive to pick her up, which is a great feeling! All babies are different, of course, but I wouldn't expect the worst. The time apart may actually do both of you good!

Unhappy Re: Will DS be upset when I go back to work?

OK, so I returned to work today (it seemed SO long!) When I got home Luke barely acknowledged me. I still can't get him to smile for me. I'm heartbroken. I guess I was hoping for a baby extatic to see me and want to be held and nursed the rest of the day. I'm very happy that he wasn't upset and difficult for DH but I wanted him to need me a little! Afterall, DS and I haven't had more than 2 hrs apart his whole life.......

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

The first time I picked up my ds from daycare, he was so stunned and unimpressed by me, I was crushed. My mom pointed out that I need to be happy to see him and not show him my "worried face" right away. Now, when I come home or pick him up, I try to be visibly grinning and this seems to help him smile in response. There are days it takes him awhile to warm back up to me...sometimes he isn't relaxed enough until after his first feeding at home with me, then he beams. Still-- work is hard. I hate it most days. My ds is 5 months old and I've only been back to work for 3 weeks. Hang in there!