Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He HATES Cow's milk!!!

Default He HATES Cow's milk!!!

Hi all! My LO turned one on the 7th and so we just started introducing cow's milk. So far no allergies, but he just doesn't like it! He's take one, maybe two sips from his sippy cup every day and then refuse to drink more! I'm probably just worrying too much since it's only been a week, but how the heck am I supposed to wean him off the bottle if he hates it! (I exclusively pump.) Any suggestions? TIA!

Default Re: He HATES Cow's milk!!!

Is it your desire to get him off BM? If not - he doesn't need the cow milk if he gets 3-4 + feedings of BM/day.
    If so there are ways to slowly intro it, by mixing a little bit of each at a time... see if I can find a link with more about that?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He doesn't have to have cow's milk to get all his dairy requirements - you can get calcium, vit D and all that from other sources.

Perhaps you can mix a little breast milk (or even half and half) so that he gets used to the taste a little easier.

There are also other kinds of milks that you could try!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

You might also call it something different. I've seen some posts where mom's say their lo expected it to taste like bm, because they called them both the same thing.

Here's a link that might just answer the issue at hand
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really appreciate it! No, I'm not ready yet to wean him from bm, but the issue is that I've always supplemented with formula and I wanted to make sure on days when I don't pump enough that he will drink cow's milk to get some more protein and vitamins and fat. I think mixing is a good idea when I don't pump enough! (I'll start out with small amounts though, so not much bm will get wasted if he doesn't go for it!) Also, calling bm "milk" and cow's milk "milk", yeah I do that! You're right, he might be confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Here's a link that might just answer the issue at hand
    Thank you! I read the link and this makes me feel so much better! Gee, for the first time I might actually have days where LO doesn't need to drink another mammals milk! That'll be a first! That would feel so good!

My DD didn't like cow's milk either. I kept offering it to her ever so often. Then one day when she was like almost 20 months old, she decided that she likes it. It was the craziest thing. I thought I would never see the day. Some days she will drink one cup and others she won't drink any at all. She will only drink it out of a certain cup with a straw and only with the mid-afternoon snack. Sometimes she will drink a little before bedtime. I wouldn't sweat it. I made sure to give her cheese and yogurt everyday. I also give her orange juice that has calcium in it. My PD said if she didn't drink milk, she could have 8 oz of the orange juice a day, but no more. If she does drink milk, then of course limit the juice to 4 oz or none at all. I breastfed her until she was 14 months old.

I just stopped pummping myself but I am still nursing. My LO also hated rice milk, cows milk, anything but my milk. We started with 90% my milk and 10% cow then 80% my milk and 20% cow, 70% my milk and 30% cow, and so on. It took quite some time but she is now drinking cow milk at daycare and nursing when she is with me (19 months old now). Also, she refuses "regular" cow milk and will only drink organic. We have even done "blind taste test" and she picked the organic every time.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk