Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got the SNS! Any tips to help me out?

Default Re: Just got the SNS! Any tips to help me out?

They are Domperidone and Reglan. Domperidone have less side effects than Reglan but is not available in the US, but you can get it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Drea1599
    I have heard there is a prescriptin medicine to help produce more milk as well...can a LC prescribe it? I am planning on seeing an LC soon so I was hoping I could kill two birds with one stone there.
    There are two drugs, Reglan and Domperidone. Reglan can be prescribed by your doctor or OB/GYN. Domperidone has limited availability in the US. I believe you can get it at some componding pharmacies. You may want to check around before you contact your doctor.

Domperidone is also available without a prescription through mail order.

http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=2362

Let me know if you need any other info.

Why is it not available in the US. Is it not safe? What possible side efects do these pills have. Would they effect my DD? Do they help signifiacntly enough to order them?

Quote Originally Posted by Drea1599
    Why is it not available in the US. Is it not safe? What possible side efects do these pills have. Would they effect my DD? Do they help signifiacntly enough to order them?
    Domperidone is actually safer than Reglan. One of the side effects of Reglan is depression. I tried Reglan, but it did not have any effect. The Domperidone has given me approx. 35% more milk. For me it was the difference between exclusive breastfeeding and having to suppliment. I have been taking it for about 6 months with no side effects.

I just got mine in the mail today too! So I will be trying it tonight.

Just a question - I noticed some of you said 'corner of the mouth.' I was just reading the instructions & it says the tube should be at the center of the upper lip, not the corner. Is the corner better/easier for some reason?

oh, well hey so the top of the mouth. I just tried the corner because there is more room in the corner than at the top when the baby is latched on I think I tried to the top a few times and cgave up. but I may have been doing something wrong! it is a wonderful way though to increase supply because it keeps baby on the breast! good luck you guys!

I tried mine the first time this morning. What a nightmare! I am going to try again, but man... my son is 5.5 months old and was grabbing at the tubes, wriggling around, etc. He latched on for about three seconds on each side, but got mad about it and was crying pretty quickly. He was hungry but not starving but we just quit and gave him a bottle. I'm going to try again this evening when he's not starving, hopefully. We'll see how it goes! I hate to think it's $40 down the toilet.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. Plus that thing was dripping all over me. I am going to call a LC tmw to see if I can meet with her and she can help me out.

Andrea, did you baby latch onto it at all?

My difficulty seemed to be getting to STAY on. He'll open up and suck two or three times but I think having bottles for so long (even though we always use slow flow nipples) has spoiled him into thinking milk must be there immediately. My husband squeezed the bottle so there was a bit of milk in his mouth, but he's so dang fidgety and squirmy that he ripped the tape off one side and it was just craziness. : I do hope it gets better.

I guess I'm getting discourage because I've been pumping 10x a day for almost 2 weeks and I'm still making less than an ounce a day, total. It has increased from 1/4 ounce to 1/2 ounce and yesterday was nearly 3/4 ounce, but still... I felt discouraged when DH saw my milk bottle (which was a compilation of 24 hours of pumping) and said, "Oh, is that what you got just now?"

She latched very breifly so I tried the nipple shield. She was on the nipple shile for like 10 seconds then got mad, pulled that off, pulled the tape off from the SNS. FORMULA IS EVERYWHERE!! LOL What a mess.

Hey you pumping 3/4 an in 24 hours is more then I get. only get drip and I am starting week 3 of this relactation madness.

I am thinking of getting the Domperidone pills and renting the hopistal grade pump ( I have medela PIS now). I am already eating oatmela once a day, taking the fenugreek, and the mothers milk tea. And pumping as often as I can for 15 minutes at a time.

How long had you stopped BF for? I stopped 5 - 6 weeks. I heard it may take as long as you stopped to get that supply back up again. So if you stopped for less time then me I will feel less discouraged. LOL