Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got the SNS! Any tips to help me out?

Default Just got the SNS! Any tips to help me out?

OK I just got the SNS in the mail. I boiled it and it is ready for use. Any tips that might help my relactation and getting my DD back on the breast more successful? Feed her from the bottle first to take away the hunger then try to put her on? Just try to put her on as soon as she is hungry? Any tips will help! Thanks!

Default Re: Just got the SNS! Any tips to help me out?

Hi Andrea,
    Have you been able to get in touch with any local Leaders? They might really be able to help and support you through this.
    Is this your area?

Mary

Yes, that is my area. I went to a meeting yesterday and that particular leader said she wasnt too keen on the relactation thing. I am going to go to one next week. I am also going to call a LC around here to get some help as well. I just wanted to start this SNS thing ASAP and I am trying to see if anyone else had to use one before and what worked for them. (i.e., trying to get a baby to use it who will not get on the breast). Thanks for the link though.

I used an sns to up my supply, not exactly the same thing, but I did use one for a while! how old is your baby? I would suggest doing a lot of kangaroo care. tummy to tummy ina sling or something. let your baby cuddle your breast during times of relaxation, not just when hungry. we want good associations with the breast, ie: comfort, warmth, al the other things that coincide with breastfeeding. I fed my children when they were not starving, but interested. usually about an hour after they ate so they were not crazy hungry. this way they were more calm and more receptive to trying something new. once your baby has accepted the breast into his mouth, then I would slip the tube in through the corner of his mouth. be back in a bit with more info, gotta tend to thte babes!

Thanks for the info. My DD is 12 weeks old. It is so hard to get her on the breast now. HOpefully this will work, I am also ordering a sling.

I used a SNS for a while too. I'd recommend doing like you said, some bottle first, then try to latch. That's what worked for us.

Slipping the tube in the corner of the mouth can be really difficult if the baby won't stay latched. I'd try taping it to your breast first...

not to contradict advice or anything, you have to do what works for you.

YEah I may have to do it like that because she really isnt taking to my breast too well.

my son fought it at first.
    what helped me was I could get him to latch with the shield so i would let him nurse with that for a minute until he started dozing off,
    as soon as he started getting sleepy I would take the shield off and start the SNS. he did NOT like it too well the first few attempts and still doesn't care for it (?? weird)
    but the key IMO is to stay positive and keep trying. don't let her get too frusterated. but give it enough time to give her a change to get it!
    what always helped was for me to sqeeze the sns bottle as soon as he latched so some milk would come right out into his mouth. the first few times i had to have my husbands help!

goodluck with it!

yes I agree with al lthe above posters!! and yes taping to the breast does work too. I did that when I got sick of the stupid thing wiggling out of her mouth. I asked about age because I had more trouble keeping the tube in her mouth the older she got, but its not impossible! you can do this, and we are all here to support you!!

Question Re: Just got the SNS! Any tips to help me out?

Awesome. Thank you guys so much for your advise. I am hoping this becomes succesful. One last question...I have heard there is a prescriptin medicine to help produce more milk as well...can a LC prescribe it? I am planning on seeing an LC soon so I was hoping I could kill two birds with one stone there.